If you live in NZ...Marimo balls illegal

YellowGuppy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Don't try importing marimo balls!

Found this gem of an article (did you know that "Algae News" is a thing?) outlining that an artist was facing four charges as a result of buying and then selling 15 marimo balls - evidently the kiwis take "bio-security" very seriously!

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
I researched a little and found this article..... note the moss balls in Australia. I'm going to take care of my one surviving moss ball much more tenderly now!

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
I love it. We won't tell you you can't, but don't do it anyway... Compliance inspector Richard Notley explained that the ministry’s website did not have a list of plants that could not be imported, but there was a list of plants that were allowed. He said there were simply millions of plants around the world so it was impractical to have every plant listed.

Finlikesfish

Reaction score
This is really interesting. I don’t live there, but I hope that everyone (not just New Zealanders) takes these things seriously and researches first and treads very carefully. I would think that it would be safest that you check with authorities/the government wherever you are. That would be what I would do/believe, but I don’t know much about these things - in fact, barely anything.

I wonder whether if these balls got into waterways (or parts of them), would they cause problems? I think they were incredibly slow-growing? Would it still an issue regardless?

Would it be beneficial to take utmost care when doing water changes, so that you wouldn’t tip water down sinks that might have bits of moss balls in them?

No need to answer the questions, I don’t want to take over the thread! Perhaps I‘ll post the questions on the general discussion forum with my own thread.

Finlikesfish

Reaction score
*Adding to comment above
When I say check with authorities, I mean that I would check with authorities as to whether certain plants like moss balls are allowed to be imported / owned / propagated AND everything else. Be careful everyone. I don’t know anything, of course, just what I would do!
Please don’t take my word - research and check and abide by laws!

Treestone

Reaction score
Finlikesfish said:
*Adding to comment above
When I say check with authorities, I mean that I would check with authorities as to whether certain plants like moss balls are allowed to be imported / owned / propagated AND everything else. Be careful everyone. I don’t know anything, of course, just what I would do!
Please don’t take my word - research and check and abide by laws!
Its very difficult to import any live animal/plant into NZ, almost impossible. Don't make me start listing all the species we can't get.

New Threads