If you have a Marineland Stealth Pro Heater, please take this poll

How well has your Marineland Stealth Pro Heater worked?

• Total voters

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
PLEASE READ BEFORE TAKING POLL:

1) Please only take the poll if you have a Marineland Stealth Pro Heater.

2) If you have multiple MSP heaters, please select the most negative experience you've had (in other words, "cracked" trumps "working fine" and "exploded" trumps everything.)

3) I'm making the results of the poll "open" to insure that we don't have people signing up for the sole purpose of taking the poll.

4) Please feel free to add comments in a post. For example, if you have three dozen of these heaters, and only one of them has given you problems, feel free to let us know.

5) Letting us know how long your heater worked properly (if at all) would be good, too.

This is my favorite type of poll: One based on concrete, easily defined occurrences. While it isn't going to be entirely conclusive, it will give a broad idea of how much of an issue this is.

brokenwing

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a marineland stealth in my 15 gallon, so far so good. I have been keeping my fingers crossed.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello SDS,

I have 3 250w Marineland Stealth Pros in my 265g and they have worked perfectly since December 2009. I really like how the indicator light changes colors, from green (not heating) to red (actually heating). A little more peace of mind .

Ken

Nate McFin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mine is off by 6 degrees but holds the temp steady (still in use). Temp being off was verified by 3 different thermometers.
Since I read about the Stealth problems, I purchased an inline Hydor ETH and its absolutely dead on.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have three of them, two where the lot number is on the recall list, apparently. But I've never had trouble with them, they hold the temp perfectly and I have no plans on returning them. I would use them again in the future.

OP
sirdarksol

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
LyndaB said:
I have three of them, two where the lot number is on the recall list, apparently. But I've never had trouble with them, they hold the temp perfectly and I have no plans on returning them. I would use them again in the future.
As I understand it, there is no actual recall (yet, at least). Marineland is saying that these are a number of isolated incidents. That's actually why I'm doing this: We've got some people who are going around everywhere saying "these things will explode on you," and Marineland saying "there's really no correlation here," so I wanted to see some slightly more concrete numbers.

Thank you to everyone who has taken part so far. ;D

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Interesting poll! I just refuse to use them because I feel the quality of their products has gone way downhill since Tetra Care or whatever bought them out. Sure, the explosions might be just a number of isolated incidents, but I've never heard of an exploding Ebo Jager or Hydor ETH. ANY heater explosions are a problem IMO and it's a shame that Marineland is refusing to deal with it with a recall.

If I'm out of line by posting this in a poll thread, please feel free to delete this post.

OP
sirdarksol

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Don't worry about it, harpua. The discussion part of this poll is largely subjective, and people's opinions are important in that.

As long as, when people actually vote, they are voting for their own experiences only, we're good. ;D

Cfl Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine shifts like 1 Degree on the COMPLETE OPPOSITE SIDE of the tank, I love it its one of the best heaters ive used and you can find them at most pet stores. Also they are priced very well, as compared to my favorite, the Fluval E series. It has about the accuracy too very happy with them. My friends try to pawn their aqueon's off on me for my Marineland's lol, they hate those things. I also liked the Fluval M series too, not as much as the Stealth.

JRC3

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I bought a Rena Smartheater and I gotta say that I like the design and I will probable replace all of my heaters with them. The heater acts as the filters strainer and intake tube. It is bigger than most heaters but it takes up less space than both the heater and filter intake. Plus I like the way it heats and circulates the water.

149.jpg

I have it attached to an Aquaclear and I assume it will attach to most other filters with a round intake.

Also I do have a 200w Stealth, it is consistent and I've never had a problem out of it.

JRDroid

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I really like my stealth pro. I love the red/green light set up. That smart heater is pretty awesome though. But I prefer to put my heaters horizontally so I don't have to turn it off during water changes, so the rena loses some of its appeal on that.

Aquanero

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have been using them on all my tanks for about three years and they all work fine. IME most heater failures are do to some kind of misuse, leaving them pluged in during water changes being the most common. Also like I said in another thread install them fully submerged on a 45 as opposed to vertical and they'll last much longer and be very accurate. I'm running 7 ATT, from 150 to 250W.

jab91864

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Marineland just replaced my heater , it was a complete failure... don't think I would buy another one.

sanjin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've had a 150W for a little under a month, and it does not hold the temperature steady. It is set at 80, and one night I was looking at my thermometer and it said 72. I almost bumped it up, but I'm glad I didn't, because a couple days later the tank was at 80 again. Last night it was at 72 again. This is greater temperature fluctuation than I am comfortable with- especially with a brand new heater.

OP
sirdarksol

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Gonna presume that the 150W is in your 38g aquarium, sanjin. Is that correct?
Out of curiosity, what temp do you keep your house at? I ask because, with temperatures the way they've been the past month (up and down, up and down), that power heater may be having problems maintaining temps if you've been letting your house get cold. Our house got to be sixty yesterday evening, and I'm getting concerned about my biggest aquarium and whether or not the heater (barely rated for that size tank) can keep up with the temp drops.

sanjin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It is in the 38g. I will keep watching it as we have the house more closed up and temp more stable for the winter. My husband is forever opening windows, and I have to go around and close them if it gets cold. The thing is that when the tank is at 72, the heater doesn't turn on- the light stays green. It's not like it's fighting the whole time to keep the tank warm, it's like it doesn't even realize that the temp is lower than the setting.

OP
sirdarksol

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Gotcha. Then my question is a moot point. If it's not recognizing that it needs to heat, it's got an issue.

JRC3

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Under a month, I would return it to the store.

Or contact Marineland, they have great customer service and should send you a new one.

New Threads