If you had an empty 125g in your basement, what would you do with it??

1. TKDennison Member Member

I'm currently in this situation, and I'm very curious what you all would do with it????

This is just a tank and stand, nothing else. So equipment is also involved in this game.

GO!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

If it's not drilled, get a large canister for it. If it is drilled, a sump. Get an inline heater if you get a canister, lights hood, etc..Throw the heaters in the sump if its drilled.

I love wet pets. I would get a pair of managuense cichlids, with a common pleco, and have a plan for the fry.

Or, put sand on the bottom, and fill it up with all the bichirs you can get a hold of. You could have quite a few in a 125.

3. Fishboy123 Member Member

Definitely an african cichlid tank :;rocker

4. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

oh the options! you guys seriously do this to drive us crazy. What kind of fish, tank setups, etc are you into?

5. TKDennison Member Member

It's not drilled.

I have a 75 that's my freshwater community, gouramis, corys, danios, snails.

Would like to try cichlids, my tap is perfect for them.

Though maybe I would do some larger fish like a black knife or Jack Dempsey.

6. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

A black knife and dempsey would be cool. You could have some schooling fish too. Silver dollars would work with both of those.

7. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Red-bellied piranhas.

8. TKDennison Member Member

I wanted silver dollars in my 75, but their appetite for plants deterred me. Lol

9. k9z3boys Member Member

if I had that big a tank, lots of loose cash and way more experience, i'd go saltwater... gobies, damsels, angelfish... maybe a puffer... some eels...
    or I would do an aggressive or semi aggressive tank... sharks are freakin awesome fresh or saltwater....

10. TKDennison Member Member

Ooh..sharks. Hmmm..

11. fishingdeep Member Member

LOL - I'm trying to sell mine. Its not in the basement now...

12. atc84 Well Known Member Member

put in two guppies, let them breed, end up with hundreds of them xD

Since i like to dirt my tanks, i would have tons of fun planting and scaping a large tank like a 125. It would be cheap, too, especially if you get bulk plants on sale on aquabid or something.

13. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Id sit and stare at it, print different to-scale fish pictures and tape them inside until i liked what i saw. Lol. Honestly i have always wanted big fish. So if i had a 125 id find a big single or pair of fish to put in. I like communities but i something about having one huge fish is very attractive :)

14. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I'd fill the bottom with corys of course then have a group of angels if the tank's tall enough for them & a huge shoal of cardinal tetras.
    I quite like simple set ups, few species but large numbers of them.

15. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Or id go a bit looney and do big shoals of micro rasboras. Those little babies are so cute!

16. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

This idea won't appeal to everyone but I would do a heavily planted tank with small tetras, rasboras, corys, discus, angels, plecos etc. Filtration with a large sump with air pumps and heaters in it.

17. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

18. TKDennison Member Member

Oh man, I decided...

Discus, Lots of Discus. and Angels.

Oh I can't wait!

19. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Ooh I'm so envious! My girlfriend won't let me get another tank until we move into a house. I would love a nice 6ft 120g tank filled with Discus and Pleco's!!!

20. Axelrodi202 Member Member

Colony tank of your favorite small schooling fish. Nothing like small fish to make a big tank look huge.