If You Could No Longer Keep Fish...

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If for some reason you can no longer keep fish, what would you put in your tank?

I really enjoy the hobby but due to certain circumstances it's becoming quite hard to keep up with maintenance. I have started to wonder about what other pets may be suitable for a tank. Mine in specific is a 75g. But just some ideas of other pet options?
Mainly just for fun for now. I'll definitely be sticking to fish for a few more years but it's always nice to have plans

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If I couldn't keep up with my tanks I probably wouldn't want to keep the tank at all. It probably would be sold, donated or sit in a garage holding random stuff. As for furry bunnies or hamsters...no thanks...

Though If I did sell the stuff I might be able to get that 9.5 degree Calloway Golf driver or a Taylor Made...

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’d be dead first.

As much as they cause me stress (see thread Shredded Fins on Goldy) they also help me to relax and something to plan around. I’m horrible for not planning in advance. Tuesday is water change day so I have to plan ahead for that. Freaking small water tank...

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello I would keep hermit crabs in place of all my fish tanks, I have one hermit crab tank right now.
It's a 55 gallon, but I would certainly keep all hermit crabs if I could.

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would do a lot of reptile rescue, and general wildlife rehab. I would also expand my ringneck snake breeding project. I might end up giving the anoles the 20L, put Peppermint in Zuri's tank (also 20L), and give Miss Zuripants run of the 40B. Tbh, I'm making all of my tanks bigger, so this might end up happening...

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Probably lizards.

Used to have a huge black and white tegu a while back and it was a phenomenal reptile But she died from a rare spinal dysfunction after only around a year of owning her

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’d likely get some sirens, they’ve always intrigued me and I think they’d be a very enjoyable to pet to keep. Beyond that I’d likely try some more exotic rodents or rabbits. Like a golden mole if it’s ethical to keep them(haven’t done any real research on them), I’d also love to keep some hedge hogs or sugar gliders. It wouldn’t be unlikely for me to get some insects either though, there are so many beautiful and interesting animals in that category. I’d likely want to get an orchid mantis, also only if it’s ethical.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Katarina said:
Turtles or tortoise!!! I used to have turtles when I was little.
Those would also be really fun. Granted it wouldn’t fit in a tank, but I wish I could get one of those giant tortoise that are larger than most dogs. Those guys are really neat.
I forgot to say, I’d also be interested in a satanic leaf gecko.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Easy answer, id go full crustacean. I'd definitely keep my land hermit crabs, some freshwater shrimp in another and probably some fw aussie native crabs in another. In my pond outside, I'd probs keep a turtle or something....

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Platylover said:
Those would also be really fun. Granted it wouldn’t fit in a tank, but I wish I could get one of those giant tortoise that are larger than most dogs. Those guys are really neat.
I forgot to say, I’d also be interested in a satanic leaf gecko.
They have one in one local pet shop .... sometimes I go there instead of going to zoo lol

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Katarina said:
They have one in one local pet shop .... sometimes I go there instead of going to zoo lol
Right? Sometimes I enjoy going to my LFS just as much as the zoo, and its, get this, free to go to the store!

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Platylover said:
Right? Sometimes I enjoy going to my LFS just as much as the zoo, and its, get this, free to go to the store!
But it's risky too, you never know what you get home with haha

xloe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think most interesting pets require regular maintenance and/or expenses. Tbh I think a cat is one of the most maintenance free pets, obviously should not keep him in your 10g though.
Reading this forum has convinced me i want a gecko when I decide I need more things to occupy my time/wallet. I like how the leopards look, but it sounds like crested are okay for reptile beginners too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom