If you could have an 1000 gallon aquarium

ojdgtjc
if YOU could have a 1000 gallon aquarium and money, time, food, etc wasn't a problem, what would you get and why? I would do one largemouth bass and one peacock bass and one arowana and maybe a jaguar cichlid. I'm interested to see all of the answers to this.

MissPanda
I'd get an albino alligator gar. I'd prob add something else, but I never really look too much into those large species because it's not realistic for me.

.. and just so everyone can see how cute they are. Little fat white blimps. I love them !

christiangrenier
Hmmm... maybe some plecos. Definetly a few Motoro Stingrays.

PascalKrypt
1. Start a live food culture
2. Add shrimp
3. Leave alone for a month
4. Toss in a group of 3 males and 8 females of something small and colourful (betta, sparkling gourami, apisto, pygmy sunfish) and let the magic happen.
5. After the first generations of new adults appear, start cutting back the population to about 20% every generation. Sell off or give away excess.
6. Add a medium-size singular predatory fish (or a duo of the same gender) that will put a dent in fry count and take care of stunted fish, but that won't touch the half-grown juveniles. Probably a larger killi, microstenopoma or an african butterfly fish (for labyrinths) or something similar.

MAGIC.
Not that I'd ever have the space to do this or the time to do water changes on a tank like that. But still.

Feohw
A male betta. Because why not.

PascalKrypt
Feohw said:
Have fun playing 'where's waldo'

Edit: Now the Carmen Sandiego theme song is playing my head...

ojdgtjc
haha

jkkgron2
I would have about 30 male betta and a sorority of 100+ females

MomeWrath
Pangasius cat, arowana, Freshwater stingrays, or a school (like a big school) of geophagus altifrons....

or setup a perfect planted amazonian biotope and put a couple dozen angels in there and let God sort it out.

JettsPapa
Something like this (you have to watch what happens when they add more fish):

John58ford
A bunch of buckets and a bigger transfer pump lol. I would be the weird guy that divided up a mega tank and used it breed all the fish I could think of. Probably all the strange ones you just don't see at the shops. I would definitely figure out how to add a wet dry section to about 100 gallons of it though and strangely enough keep a true water snake to handle the culling duties. Not a moccasin, but something like the northern water snake. A semI aquatic Northwest garter got me into fish keeping this time around and it's amazing watching them go fishing.

e_watson09
I'd probably do a large community tank of some sorts with some larger fish but not giants other than maybe plecos. I could just see a school of like 100 bleeding heart tetras in it and other fish like that <3

PascalKrypt
John58ford said:
A bunch of buckets and a bigger transfer pump lol. I would be the weird guy that divided up a mega tank and used it breed all the fish I could think of. Probably all the strange ones you just don't see at the shops. I would definitely figure out how to add a wet dry section to about 100 gallons of it though and strangely enough keep a true water snake to handle the culling duties. Not a moccasin, but something like the northern water snake. A semI aquatic Northwest garter got me into fish keeping this time around and it's amazing watching them go fishing.
Teach me how to make DIY land areas! I've been wanting to create a paludarium since I got back in the hobby but for the life of me can't figure out how to get a soil bed high enough that there's a proper water column down below and yet deep enough that I can actually get plants to root decently. I'm thinking the half-way glass divider panel that I've mostly seen is a poor idea because the deep soil bed would just rot that way (kind of like keeping a small plant in a 20" pot without holes in the bottom) but I don't really see how else to do it.

lilirose
I'd have an enormous school of tetras. What kind? Ask me again when I have the tank, lol, there are so many that I love. I'd also want a huge school of Cory cats along with some Otos if I could locate captive-bred ones, and maybe I'd rehome a Common Pleco that some poor person bought not knowing how huge it would get.

DoraCory
In answer to the OP, I'd either have a Mbu puffer in a 1000g or plant it up really nicely and have as many discus and cardinal tetras as I could fit.

JamieLu
I agree, id have a mbu puffer and some other random fish, not giant ones tho. Discus would b a good choice too!

AcuarioAmazonico
I’d be stuck. Let’s see: if I could afford a tank of almost 4000 litres (and the filtration, decor, etc that comes with that) I am pretty sure that I could afford two of them.

So one would be an Australian based tank with massive bogs of eucalyptus and a Murray cod - massive prehistoric predator. Throw some yabbies or smaller fish and watch the Murray cod do his thing.

Second tank would be Amazonian. Not sure about set up other than there’d be stingrays and Arowana.

Murray Cod:

BD668BBE-70C6-45E5-AA61-B861A074C5DE.jpeg

Das Junge
I’d have to go with a colony of Neolamprologus Multifasciatus, I’ve always wanted to see their behavior in a large group. Or cories.

MissNoodle
Just cories.

fabienne
ojdgtjc said:
if YOU could have a 1000 gallon aquarium and money, time, food, etc wasn't a problem, what would you get and why? I would do one largemouth bass and one peacock bass and one arowana and maybe a jaguar cichlid. I'm interested to see all of the answers to this.
Giant female betta sorority. oh also probably giant schools of schooling fish. I'd also put my pleco in there lol I won't have to be so careful for him

Fishopolis
All celestial pearl danios and red crystal shrimp, black substrate, heavily planted.

Dart
PascalKrypt said:
Teach me how to make DIY land areas! I've been wanting to create a paludarium since I got back in the hobby but for the life of me can't figure out how to get a soil bed high enough that there's a proper water column down below and yet deep enough that I can actually get plants to root decently. I'm thinking the half-way glass divider panel that I've mostly seen is a poor idea because the deep soil bed would just rot that way (kind of like keeping a small plant in a 20" pot without holes in the bottom) but I don't really see how else to do it.
I made my paludarium with egg crate and a screen over the top for the land area (with drainage substrate on top of the screen), with the egg crate as a false bottom. Keep in mind that I haven't added plants yet, so it could be a total fail, but I have pots worked into my DIY background that I intend on using for most of the plants.

Nobote
Coldwater aquarium designed like a stream with trout in it. Brookies, cuthroat and tiger trout..or palominos.

Tiger-Trout-Fly-1.jpg

Petchratn
MissPanda said:
I'd get an albino alligator gar. I'd prob add something else, but I never really look too much into those large species because it's not realistic for me.
Don’t put water to high lol.

MissPanda said:
.. and just so everyone can see how **** cute they are. Little fat white blimps. I love them !
??? I thought alligator?? Yes it is so cute.

Feohw said:
You meant male bettas????

Feohw
Petchratn said:
You meant male bettas????
Just the one betta. Don't want to overstock the tank.

FinalFins
CaptainAquatics
I would do one of two options:
Option a:
- 3 spotted gar
- 1 silver arrowana
- 20 synodontis eupterus catfish (feather fin squeaker catfish)
- a huge school of tetras

Option b:
- 100 Albino Cory catfsih
- 100 emerald green Cory catfish
- 200 cardinal tetras
- 200 serpae tetra
- 1 silver arrowana

MissPanda
Nobote said:
Coldwater aquarium designed like a stream with trout in it. Brookies, cuthroat and tiger trout..or palominos.
I'll come catch my dinner from your tank.

Nobote
And ill catch my dinner from yours missy! Gar is delicious!

John58ford
PascalKrypt said:
If I find another free/cheap 20 long I'll do a thread. I quit using it quickly in my 50/50 but it was due to a flaw on my build, not the theory. Just allow it to waterfall over the divider (I should have cut a weir into the side of the divider instead, and built my divider an inch higher), flow through course rocks to the bottom, about a 3/4-1" of water across the bottom of the dry side. Hide a pump in the furthest away corner and pump the water right back uphill into the fish side and it starts over again. Protect the pump with a course sponge. On the dry side, put some Legos holding up a lighting grid, put some screen on the grid, pea gravel size lava rock above the screen, potting soil above the lava rock, plant plants, cover in bark. Your fill line should be about 3/4 covering the lava rock. Water will wick up to keep the soil damp and you're off. My mistake was thinking a "waterfall" would look cool so I cut a gentle bow in the divider and the water just poured over the top. It did look cool. I lost a handful of snails and some guppy fry over said waterfall, they didn't get out. I had a bio situation within a week. I should have just cut a weir and covered it with a screen, my snake would still have his lucky bamboo and money plants that way lol. I joined fishlore about 6 months later and I bet someone could have steered me right. Right now it's just dry bark on that half and I lowered the fish side water a half inch and put in a normalish filter.

No I know, when someone gives me that 1000 gallon tank I'll do a YouTube build thread. That should bring enough views to quit working right? So uh OP, who's giving it the tank again?

PascalKrypt
John58ford said:
If I find another free/cheap 20 long I'll do a thread. I quit using it quickly in my 50/50 but it was due to a flaw on my build, not the theory. Just allow it to waterfall over the divider (I should have cut a weir into the side of the divider instead, and built my divider an inch higher), flow through course rocks to the bottom, about a 3/4-1" of water across the bottom of the dry side. Hide a pump in the furthest away corner and pump the water right back uphill into the fish side and it starts over again. Protect the pump with a course sponge. On the dry side, put some Legos holding up a lighting grid, put some screen on the grid, pea gravel size lava rock above the screen, potting soil above the lava rock, plant plants, cover in bark. Your fill line should be about 3/4 covering the lava rock. Water will wick up to keep the soil damp and you're off. My mistake was thinking a "waterfall" would look cool so I cut a gentle bow in the divider and the water just poured over the top. It did look cool. I lost a handful of snails and some guppy fry over said waterfall, they didn't get out. I had a bio situation within a week. I should have just cut a weir and covered it with a screen, my snake would still have his lucky bamboo and money plants that way lol. I joined fishlore about 6 months later and I bet someone could have steered me right. Right now it's just dry bark on that half and I lowered the fish side water a half inch and put in a normalish filter.

No I know, when someone gives me that 1000 gallon tank I'll do a YouTube build thread. That should bring enough views to quit working right? So uh OP, who's giving it the tank again?
I couldn't completely follow that, might I bother you for a rough sketch of this design? I would be very grateful!

Kevin1962
I'd like a mangrove type brackish biotope.
How to make the tides would be interesting. Archers, a snook or 5, all of the cool crabs, eels, even molluscs.
Maybe I'd need a 5000 gallon.

juniperlea
I'd fashion it around my bed.

KingJamal2
ojdgtjc said:
I would get a MASSIVE amount of neon tetras and let them school.

I
KingJamal2 said:
I would get a MASSIVE amount of neon tetras and let them school.
I LOVE schooling fish

CaptainAquatics
may I add another prompt to this thread? Here it is: what if you could have a 10000 gallon aquarium. Same rules apply to this one as the last one. Personally I don’t even know. Probably some true monsters (ex: aropima, RTC’s, MBU puffer, Wels catfish, etc.) BTW just joking about the Wels. If you have never heard of them look them up I don’t think they would even work in that big of a tank lol. Maybe one of them alone, I would have to research.

KingJamal2
CaptainAquatics said:
may I add another prompt to this thread? Here it is: what if you could have a 10000 gallon aquarium. Same rules apply to this one as the last one. Personally I don’t even know. Probably some true monsters (ex: aropima, RTC’s, MBU puffer, Wels catfish, etc.) BTW just joking about the Wels. If you have never heard of them look them up I don’t think they would even work in that big of a tank lol. Maybe one of them alone, I would have to research.
even more MASSIVE school of neons

Gouramiwhisperer
I would have to say some bass and red tail catfish! I love the look of them!! And then also I would think maybe I’d want a bunch of oscars or maybe even discus?! Idk so many options!!!

Fishies99
Funny story, the hospital I work in decided to get rid of the custom approx 1300 gallon aquarium they had. I almost took it but couldn't figure out a way to transport it home, tank was 12 feet long. Also it would have cost a fortune in water bills to maintain

Noroomforshoe
A salt water tank with A variety of wrass, I don't even knoe if they can live together, but since this is a fantasy, Six stipe, and leapard, and blue streak....

Elkwatcher
Dch48
A Sea Otter.

SeaMonkey06
I would get a couple of hundred white clouds and watch them school Love schooling fish!!! and I'd get an arowana and a betta.
Ooh. And some pea puffers and maybe some crayfish... Would be so amazing!
I know there's no way I could put all these fish in the same tank together; saltwater, tropical, coldwater, FREE FOOD! but hey! Let me dream XD

A more realistic version (even though having a 1,000 gallon will forever be a dream!
I'd create a beautiful reef with the most expensive corals in it, some pufferfish (even though it's not advisable to mix them, still a fantasy!), clownfish and.... I could dream ALL DAY!

Ooh. Or a really great tropical tank with some neon tetras, guppies, angelfish and discus! (are these all even compatible?)

Great idea for a thread!

SeaMonkey06 said:
I would get a couple of hundred white clouds and watch them school Love schooling fish!!! and I'd an arowana and a betta.
Ooh. And some pea puffers and maybe some crayfish... Would be so amazing!
I know there's no way I could put all these fish in the same tank together; saltwater, tropical, coldwater, FREE FOOD! but hey! Let me dream XD

A more realistic version (even though having a 1,000 gallon will forever be a dream!
I'd create a beautiful reef with the most expensive corals in it, some pufferfish (even though it's not advisable to mix them, still a fantasy!), clownfish and.... I could dream ALL DAY!

Ooh. Or a really great tropical tank with some neon tetras, guppies, angelfish and discus! (are these all even compatible?)

Great idea for a thread!
Ooh. And a flower horn. And a Balooga whale

MomeWrath
AcuarioAmazonico
CaptainAquatics said:
may I add another prompt to this thread? Here it is: what if you could have a 10000 gallon aquarium. Same rules apply to this one as the last one.
Basically what you’d have there is a swimming pool. So perhaps just a lilo and some beer... or an outdoor pond set up?

I’d have it the same as the 1,000 gallon just more ...much more. And a punt that I could ride around on. Charge people for gondola rides hahaha

I think with 10,000 gallons Feohw may even stretch themselves and put in two bettas!

MomeWrath
AcuarioAmazonico said:
Basically what you’d have there is a swimming pool. So perhaps just a lilo and some beer... or an outdoor pond set up?

I’d have it the same as the 1,000 gallon just more ...much more. And a punt that I could ride around on. Charge people for gondola rides hahaha

I think with 10,000 gallons Feohw may even stretch themselves and put in two bettas!
Like this! Of course, I'd love to see a follow up on how they manage to keep it at the right temp and if everything lived!

ojdgtjc
yea that all would be fun, also a colony of frontosas would look dope

PascalKrypt
Dart said:
I made my paludarium with egg crate and a screen over the top for the land area (with drainage substrate on top of the screen), with the egg crate as a false bottom. Keep in mind that I haven't added plants yet, so it could be a total fail, but I have pots worked into my DIY background that I intend on using for most of the plants.
I'm not sure how to see that.. how do the egg crates not get soaked?

Feohw
AcuarioAmazonico said:
I'm a risk taker, I may even squeeze a nerite in with those two bettas.

Dart
PascalKrypt said:
I'm not sure how to see that.. how do the egg crates not get soaked?
Sorry, egg crate is a plastic...like this:

I also used PVC pipe under the egg crate to support the weight.

PascalKrypt
Dart said:
Sorry, egg crate is a plastic...like this:

I also used PVC pipe under the egg crate to support the weight.
Aaaah, I see, so basically a plastic grid. Thanks for that idea!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom