Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

If You Could Grow Any Of The Following Carpet Plants Successfully, Which One Would You Pick? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Vishaquatics (Koiman), Apr 19, 2019.

?

If you were guaranteed success, which carpet plant would you choose below?

1. Staurogyne Repens

4.5%
  2. Dwarf Hair Grass

54.5%
  3. Microswords

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Pearlweed

4.5%
  5. Monte Carlo

36.4%
  6. Giant Baby Tears (Micranthemum umbrosum)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Vishaquatics (Koiman)Well Known MemberMember

Hi FishLore,

I’ve expanded my foreground collection considerably but I’m not sure which species to put on super production. I’m taking this poll of the easier carpetting Plants to see which ones are actually in demand and which ones are not by fellow hobbyists. Thank you for your input!

2. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

3. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

Dwarf hair grass.

4. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Utricularia graminifolia...

A guy can dream ;)

5. Vishaquatics (Koiman)Well Known MemberMember

Awesome, this plant has already been put in super production and I have a ton of portions growing submersed. By start of June, I should have a ton

6. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Do you sell and ship it? :)

7. FahnFishlore VIPMember

I've purchased pearlweed from the OP and it was in great shape, it's currently carpeting my 2 gallon and my shrimp love it! His other plants will be high quality too, I'm sure of it.

photo_2019-04-19_19-42-33.jpg

8. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Wow!! That looks great!! Is it a fast multiplying plant? Or do you have to trim it, if he sells, and shippes it, I would love to get some!:)

9. FahnFishlore VIPMember

It grows quite fast in my tanks because I inject CO2 and have higher lighting, but pearlweed is a quick grower regardless. If you trim it and replant the trimmings it fills in really quickly, and good lighting and substrate makes it creep rather than grow vertically. By far the easiest carpeting plant I've tried.

10. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Sweet!! Does it only grow in sand? I have gravel, would that work?

Lol, I know, I really want sand, but I don’t have time to redo my tank!!:)

11. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Pearlweed will grow in just about any substrate, left floating, or even attached to hardscape. It may not carpet on gravel properly but with repeated pruning and replanting you could get dense, bushy growth.

12. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Nice, I love the look of tall plants in the back, and the short, bushy plant in front! I pretty mush just like lush, green tanks!! I think your tank is beautiful!!:):)

13. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Hit @Vishaquatics (Koiman) up via PM ;)

14. Vishaquatics (Koiman)Well Known MemberMember

Thank you @Fahn i appreciate the shoutout.

@PheonixKingZ i do ship tons of varieties of plants that are all grown submersed

15. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Cost?? I did PM, you......:)

16. Vishaquatics (Koiman)Well Known MemberMember

PM responded

17. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Probably UT like @Fahn!
    Also that tissue culture white glosso looks super cool but I’d imagine it has a lot of reverting

18. Vishaquatics (Koiman)Well Known MemberMember

Did you find that on Buce Plant? I just saw it a few days ago and I was absolutely blown away. I also saw they had full grown adult crypt flamingo for $30. I actually was able to purchase one before they sold out so I'm super stoked to be receiving it soon. I'll definitely be putting that crypt on super production so hopefully I will be able to produce tons of submersed grown adult crypt flamingos.

19. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Yep! Good luck with those crypts, I’ve heard they’re much more finicky than other varieties

20. ghostlybosunWell Known MemberMember

If what you like about the flamingo is that it's a pink crypt than crypt spiralis 'red' is pretty pink and easy to grow. The flamingo is sweet, just thought I'd mention an alternative.

As far as a carpeting plant I'd like to see grown more?
    If I had the room to grow it in volume I'd grow Cryptocoryne parva. It requires higher light than most crypts but lower light than most other carpets. It's just incredibly slow growing. 20190408_202244.jpg