if only

1. gammerus Well Known Member Member

these were large enough for bettas I would love to get one, they just look so cool.
    clear.gif

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yes they do look cool but unfortunately they are not suitable for several reasons. The main one being they have no access to air and bettas have to breathe atmospheric air. Right up there with that reason is thats it's too small.
    Now I think they would be pretty with a plant in it but don't know if it's even big enough for that.
    Carol

3. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Oh, NO! Bettas are Tropical fish and need heat, filtration and aeration to survive well and long. There is no way to do that in this type of set-up.

I have written MANY long winded and probably very detailed posts about Bettas and their needs. They are complicated fish and not as easily dealt with as many pet store owners would have you believe. I will not go into my full post now, but will say that it should be enough to see how poorly they are kept in the pet stores. They are kept in filthy water and most are laying at the bottom of a very small plastic cup with a few slits cut in the top. The few stores I have visited have had at least a few dead fish among those exhibited. A high percentage will die before being sold in most pet stores due to the extremely poor conditions they are kept in. Bettas need at least a 5 gallon tank for beginners to take care of them properly with the above equipment included. There can be only one male Betta in the tank at a time.

Rose

4. gammerus Well Known Member Member

relax...as an old 80's song once said....I just said I liked the way they looked...I also said they are not fit for a betta, which is a shame

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

and we were emphatically agreeing with you ;D
    Carol

6. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

;D

7. gammerus Well Known Member Member

lol

8. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

thats so sad though :'( there's no space for air whatsoever, no heater, filter, andits barelybig enough for thebetta to fit into! :( other than thatyes they're very nice-looking

9. gammerus Well Known Member Member

its lit up with a bulb hot enough to keep it warm...and there is air...but its just so freakin small..I would love to find a nice one that holds like 3 or so gal...maybe hang it from a wall....but no, they have to make it ultra tiny

10. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

ultra tiny :'( poor bettas :'( :'(

11. beckers4oranges Member Member

i bet with a little engineering know how..someone could make a 10 gallon looking like that...and have everything a betta could want in it....ideas ideas ideas....if only if only if only...

12. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

yeah that would rock 8)