If ive already added water conditoner should i also add

• Thread starter LiLBlueShrimpy22
  • Start date

LiLBlueShrimpy22

BettasAreSuperior

Well Known
I loveee stress coat it helps a lot and I highly recommend it and there is seachem prime. Prime is a miracle product. What I will do for my 20 long I put seachem prime dosing (regular) and then add a little bit of stress coat. They are both amazing products!

LiLBlueShrimpy22

So its safe to add?

BettasAreSuperior

Well Known
Yes both will be good to use

LiLBlueShrimpy22

Thanks!

BettasAreSuperior

Well Known
LiLBlueShrimpy22 said:
Your welcome! One question what shrimp is it?

LiLBlueShrimpy22

blue bolts.. 1 carbon blue rili and sneaky ghost shrimp I can't get out of my tank lol

BettasAreSuperior

Well Known
LiLBlueShrimpy22 said:
blue bolts.. 1 carbon blue rili and sneaky ghost shrimp I can't get out of my tank lol
Nice! lol sneaky shrimp.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
LiLBlueShrimpy22 said:
I have water set up that already has water conditioner in it, should I also add stress coat? Shrimp and planted tank only.

Thanks!!
To be perfectly honest I can't see a reason to be adding 2 different water conditioners. They both do the exact same thing. Since most of us have read about the healing power of aloe this company decided it would help sell more product by claiming the healing power of the aloe added to their product. When we see 2 products sitting side by side we are going to choose the one that claims their product will sooth our fish with the aloe. Great marketing on their part. I would use one or the other but not both at the same time.

BettasAreSuperior

Well Known
mattgirl said:
To be perfectly honest I can't see a reason to be adding 2 different water conditioners. They both do the exact same thing. Since most of us have read about the healing power of aloe this company decided it would help sell more product by claiming the healing power of the aloe added to their product. When we see 2 products sitting side by side we are going to choose the one that claims their product will sooth our fish with the aloe. Great marketing on their part. I would use one or the other but not both at the same time.
I agree but I did some research (like the nerd I am) and came across this:

API Stress Coat is a phenomenal product. It reduces stress up to 40% by making tap water safe for fish; in addition, it replaces the protective slime coat. The product is fortified with soothing aloe vera which promotes healing from torn fins and skin wounds, reduces susceptibility to disease and infection, reduce electrolyte loss. Stress coat also removes chlorine and chloramines and neutralizes heavy metals that are found in tap water.

Aloe barbadensis (Aloe vera) contains a colorless mucilaginous gel called aloe vera gel. Quite a few biological effects of aloe vera including immunostimulation, increasing growth performance, improvement of wound healing in fish have been researched and founded. Reactive oxygen species (ROS) are continually produced in animals during normal aerobic metabolism that can damage most cellular components leading to death. Fish possess an antioxidant defense system to reduce the negative effects of ROS. Fish are aerobic organisms that are susceptible to ROS. Therefore, aloe vera is a great healing inhibitor and immune booster for fish and their protective slime coat.

I have been using this product for over 15+ years and its a miracle cure that increases the survivability of my fish. In my personal opinion, I would never use this product to simply condition water instead use a primer to get the job done. However, I do use this product in conjunction with water changes to try to destress my fish and boost their immune system since tap water is damaging to a fish's slime coat. Last but not least, I highly recommend pouring in the stress coat after conducting the water changes and not before or during since the stress coat will smear onto the aquarium glass causing the glass to appear dirty and/or blurry. You can easily clean it up with a scraper, but it is just beneficial to save time and effort.

LiLBlueShrimpy22

bettaandcorylover said:

API Stress Coat is a phenomenal product. It reduces stress up to 40% by making tap water safe for fish; in addition, it replaces the protective slime coat. The product is fortified with soothing aloe vera which promotes healing from torn fins and skin wounds, reduces susceptibility to disease and infection, reduce electrolyte loss. Stress coat also removes chlorine and chloramines and neutralizes heavy metals that are found in tap water.

Aloe barbadensis (Aloe vera) contains a colorless mucilaginous gel called aloe vera gel. Quite a few biological effects of aloe vera including immunostimulation, increasing growth performance, improvement of wound healing in fish have been researched and founded. Reactive oxygen species (ROS) are continually produced in animals during normal aerobic metabolism that can damage most cellular components leading to death. Fish possess an antioxidant defense system to reduce the negative effects of ROS. Fish are aerobic organisms that are susceptible to ROS. Therefore, aloe vera is a great healing inhibitor and immune booster for fish and their protective slime coat.

I have been using this product for over 15+ years and its a miracle cure that increases the survivability of my fish. In my personal opinion, I would never use this product to simply condition water instead use a primer to get the job done. However, I do use this product in conjunction with water changes to try to destress my fish and boost their immune system since tap water is damaging to a fish's slime coat. Last but not least, I highly recommend pouring in the stress coat after conducting the water changes and not before or during since the stress coat will smear onto the aquarium glass causing the glass to appear dirty and/or blurry. You can easily clean it up with a scraper, but it is just beneficial to save time and effort.
The only 1 thing is... no fish... only shrimp... so is it still benifical (sp) in the same way??

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
bettaandcorylover said:

As always we all have to decide which products work best for us. This one lost me when it said
I do use this product in conjunction with water changes to try to destress my fish and boost their immune system since tap water is damaging to a fish's slime coat.
To be totally honest I've never heard of tap water damaging a fishes slime coat. Using no conditioner may expose the fish to chlorine and the chlorine can be damaging.

we aren't actually talking about fish here though :)

BettasAreSuperior

Well Known
mattgirl said:
As always we all have to decide which products work best for us. This one lost me when it said

To be totally honest I've never heard of tap water damaging a fishes slime coat. Using no conditioner may expose the fish to chlorine and the chlorine can be damaging.

we aren't actually talking about fish here though :)
Yup! that's true. Really at the end of day it's what you need and your preference. You don't need stress coat so you're right But if you prefer to use it that's fine.

BettasAreSuperior

Well Known
LiLBlueShrimpy22 said:
The only 1 thing is... no fish... only shrimp... so is it still benifical (sp) in the same way??
I'm not sure. Proably not. lol mattgirl I think you're right

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
bettaandcorylover said:
I'm not sure. Proably not. lol mattgirl I think you're right
Research is always a good thing. This one got us to thinking and checking things out. :)

BettasAreSuperior

Well Known
mattgirl said:
Research is always a good thing. This one got us to thinking and checking things out. :)
that's true. knowledge is always nice.

LiLBlueShrimpy22

That’s true knowledge is power but sorting thru all the knowledge can be a killer!!! Lol

Top Bottom