If its not 1 thing its another (fin rot / fin nipping? )

1. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Do corys commonly nip at other fishs fins? Right now there are only 2 fish in the QT a male guppy and a peppered cory. The cory has a lump on its side that i made a post about earlier . Now the guppy is missing a piece of tail. I noticed because he has black on the border of his tail and now there is a gap in the black the rest of his tail is orange and clear. He wasnt missing part of his tail 2 hours ago so i can only assume the catfish did it. Hes also acting funny he looks like hes trying to escape or going crazy hes swimming in circles up and down the side of the tank not around the top. The tank is 7.5 g qt and its just the 2 fish i had a second guppy in there but he got stuck yesterday between a glass jar /cave and the tank wall and died. i moved the jar over since then didnt think about the guppies getting stuck. While im typing this im watching the fish and the cory just chased the guppy to the top of the tank.and intp a corner. I dont need an agressive cory with a tank full pf guppies and danios -.-

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. valau Member Member

The cory cat might be very stressed being in such a small tank by itself?

3. Anon Member Member

If it's only a QT tank I would make another one quick. If it is any disease that the guppy is carrying, you don't want to pass it on to the cory. I personally have never heard of a nipping cory but I don't have much experience with them. Good Luck.

4. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Im pretty sure the cory attacked the guppy because she was chasing him and conered him while i was watching them. As for makin a second QT if i had the money, time and space i would but this one cost me 50 $ to put together and they have been in there together for 2 weeks so if its contagious they have both been exposed now it just wouldnt matter someone sugested i dose the cory with melafix? Or something because of the lump on her side so if i can find that ill dose them both i added stress coat + to the tank today along with betta safe (tetra brand declorinator) and activate (bb culture). I have a prime off shoot declorinator but it gets rid of amonia so the activate wouldnt have worked. The tank is cycled but i was having filter issues so i added more to be safe.

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I have never heard of a cory being aggressive or nipping other fish, they are one of the most peaceful fish you can have.
    The chasing you saw may have been just the cory going up for air & the guppy got in the way.

6. frogfan Well Known Member Member

she seemed to be actively chasing him it went on for a few minutes of her fallowing him and backin him into the corners or the tank

7. frogfan Well Known Member Member

I got some pictures of the catfish . Nothings changed in the 12 days since i noticed it medicating now but still no change. I tryed to gp the frequent WC route for a week before buying meds with no luck
    Its stil eatting and swimming around normally

Attached Files:

8. Lizanne Initiate Member

Personally none of my cories have ever caused problems, they are the most peaceful fish in my tank. One under stress might cause a problem though. If he has a lump and is alone in a small tank then it may stir him up a bit. But I don't think it would be your Cory.

9. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Well its been 2 weeks and the guppies tail hasnt gotten better or worse so its probably just a flaw in the fin i hadnt noticed like a messed up split tail or something its a pretty large chunk of fin missing but its smooth rather then like a jagged tear

10. Lizanne Initiate Member

Yeah if it's smooth than its probably not a nip. It would be pretty ragged if it was a nip.