If I Wanted To

snowballPLECO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
change from my 15g column tank to a 20g long tank, could I simply transfwr over my existing water in my 15g and my filter and have jt cycle? im nkt too thrilled with my column tank...

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No need to transfer the water as well, there's nothing but nitrates and other wastes in it. Just move the old filter and if possible the substrate as well, then refill and add the fish back in once the water is at the right temp.

When I switch/move tanks I will use a 5gal for all the fish, often times a good portion of that water goes back into the tank.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
(i like transferring about 30-50% of the old water just to avoid any potential shock to the fish so it's more like a large water change... but it's not necessary. 100% change is fine as long as you follow the advice above )

good plan on transferring the current filet with all media. that's what's gonna make your tank stay cycled & safe. if you do see any blip in ammonia it will be brief and probably easily managed with prime

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I probably would do the water as well simply because its what they are used to and you wouldn't have to acclimate them to the new tank.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Filter, substrate & decore getting move over is enough to maintain your cycle. Changing the water is a personal preference issue.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom