If I Put Crushed Coral Under My Substrate Will It Still Help My Water Hardness?

OP
J

JackA99

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not much just to make my water better for shrimp. Also just enough to do so. Also I can’t put it into the filter because of the size of the filter.

toran

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You can put cuttle bone in the tank for calcium. It floats at first but you can put it under a rock or something for awhile. It doesn't cost much and you can break it in smaller pieces.

OP
J

JackA99

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
toran said:
You can put cuttle bone in the tank for calcium. It floats at first but you can put it under a rock or something for awhile. It doesn't cost much and you can break it in smaller pieces.
How long will it last? This was my original plan as I can fit it in my filter but I was scared I would have to replace it a lot. Currently I am using rocks to do it but I would like to replace them as they don’t go along with my scape.

toran

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't have mine in the filter. Pieces have been in my tank for at least 4 or 5 months. I would guess they are 1/2 the original size. Being in the filter may wear it down faster. I don't think you would have to replace it often.

Delta33

Reaction score
I also use cuttle bone, works great. I have really soft water and it helps to stabilize my kh and ph. I use one large cuttle bone in my 75 gallon (I just toss it in the tank) and it lasts about 5 months or so.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom