If I got Oscars which fish would I need to get rid of

Ksuvet

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
First it would be quite helpful if you filled out your profile so we know what size of tank and what fish you are talking about.

mathas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you're talking about the tank from , it's too small for one oscar, let alone "oscars" plural. Some people will say a 55 gallon (~200L) tank is the minimum for a single oscar, I'd suggest at least a 75 gallon (280L).

If you mean another tank, you'd have to actually tell us what's in the tank before we could tell you what fish would or would not be compatible with an oscar.

Dondomingo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
HI ray, I saw from your other thread you're new to fish keeping. Could you do us a favor and edit your profile. Go to the "my settings" tab at the top then look for edit my profile on the left hand side. Answer all the questions there so we can assist you better, thanks.

In regards to the oscars, they are a fish that require a lot of care and maintenance, I wouldn't suggest keeping one until you have a bit more experience. In regards to the tank you have, I think you said 130 liters? I wouldn't permanently keep one in anything short of 260+liters for just the oscar alone. Any small fish you have in the tank with a oscar like neons, etc will become food for the oscar.

ricmcc

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would not keep a single oscar in less than a 90g (x3.8 for litres) or a pair in a 125g.
Otherwise you will have stressed fish.
Oscars, when kept properly, are actually rather mild mannered, and will do well with other fish, but if kept in too small quarters will become quite agressive, which is against their basic nature. Kept in a large tank, they often end up having to be removed as they can be bullied by larger, or as large, cichlids (think jaguars or texas); kept in too small a tank, they tend to attack any other fish, and will fight to the death
Basically, in a large tank, oscars will live happliy with anything which they cannot swallow (which is not aggresion, just normal feeding behavior), but in a small tank, might kill a large plec, for example; in a larger tank, do great with silver dollars.
Please get the proper sized tank prior to keeping them; they are wonderful fish, but really need to be kept properly to show that, and , as any fish, do deserve proper husbandry,
You might think of Firemouths just now, as they would fit, or something of that size, there are many---just remember to use a shoehorn only on your shoes--best to you, rick.

frampy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it is a Oscar in a 55 gallon you have to get rid of all other fish. If you want more then one a 125 is about the smallest

New Threads