if i find them are they good?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by PuffPuff, Jul 14, 2015.

1. PuffPuff

PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

i have a pond near my house, and there is a bunch of snails there within the rocks and lumber and stuff like that. can i just get them and feed them to my puffer? they look like pond snails. or should i avoid that.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

The thing that I'd be concerned about are potential parasites introduced to the aquarium.

3. alink

alinkWell Known MemberMember

You could set up a small QT tank with a few in there. Put a sponge filter in and make sure to over feed them so they reproduce. You can monitor them for parasites and health and if you deem them to be good, then you got a never ending supply of food for puffer! :)

4. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

The parasites sit in the snails waiting to be eaten. Quarantine is of no use, and treatments generally won't work without killing the snails.

I would not use wild snails in a fish tank under any circumstances. The risk is far too great.

5. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

hmmm... thank you all for the input. ill just get some from my LFS and breed them. i wanted to save a trip and just walk over to my pond. hmmmm thank you all :)

6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Probably better to play it safe and breed them yourself. I mean, pretty soon you'll have more than enough to feed since they breed crazier than rabbits lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice