If I drop the spray bar do I need an air stone?

Khory4611

My setup is a 64 gallon aquarium with a Fluval 407 and 307 and a mix of real and artificial plants. The hoses are on separate ends of the aquarium. I have a spray bar below the surface of the water. I'm concerned that it may spread too much current over too wide an area. If I go back to the standard filter outlet, will I be able to maintain adequate surface agitation of do I need to add an air stone? I'd prefer not to but if that's what it takes...

Current inhabitants are
1 Angelfish
15 Guppies
13 Cherry Barbs
9 Sterbai Corys
1 BN Pleco
You must be registered to see images

Broggy

My setup is a 64 gallon aquarium with a Fluval 407 and 307 and a mix of real and artificial plants. The hoses are on separate ends of the aquarium. I have a spray bar below the surface of the water. I'm concerned that it may spread too much current over too wide an area. If I go back to the standard filter outlet, will I be able to maintain adequate surface agitation of do I need to add an air stone? I'd prefer not to but if that's what it takes...

Current inhabitants are
1 Angelfish
15 Guppies
13 Cherry Barbs
9 Sterbai Corys
1 BN Pleco

those fake plants look really nice. the spraybar pointed up is helpful, but If the tank has low oxygen, air stones are more efficient in my opinion. do your fish look like the are oxygen deprived?

Upvote 0

allysoncain07

Current inhabitants are
1 Angelfish
15 Guppies
13 Cherry Barbs
9 Sterbai Corys
1 BN Pleco

I think you should be fine without an air stone unless you see your fish hovering at the surface gasping for air which doesn’t appear to be the case! However if you do an air stone just make sure it doesn’t run when the lights are off.

Upvote 0

Khory4611

those fake plants look really nice. the spraybar pointed up is helpful, but If the tank has low oxygen, air stones are more efficient in my opinion. do your fish look like the are oxygen deprived?

No particularly. The guppies (not in the pic) hang out at the top but they do that anyway. They favor the right side though so I was thinking they may not like so much current across the middle.

Upvote 0

Dechi

You can bring the outlet closer to the top so it creates water agitation.

If that doesn’t work, I would get a Hydor Koralia (they’re silent and almost invisible against a dark background) and aim it to the surface.

Air stones are very noisy.

Upvote 0

jtjgg

i'd keep the spray bar, maybe angle it up a little bit more.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Drewbacca
Replies
Views
John58ford
Replies
Views
Wrench
Replies