If I add dad back to spawn?

James52

So I'm running out of space for tanks. My question is if I add dad back to the tank with mom and the fry will the first spawn of fry be ok? They are just shy of a month old. Will dad or mom try to eat them if she lays eggs again or will they be fine?

TClare

I am not sure, the female might be aggressive to the male if she is still protecting the fry. If she has lost interest in the fry they would probably spawn again, and yes, then they would most likely eat the current fry, assuming they are still small enough.

James52

The fry are about half a inch in size is that small enough for them to eat them?

MacZ

Which species of Apistogramma are we talking? That determines everything in this case.

James52

Triple red cockatoos

MacZ

Then expect them to be eaten.

James52

Ok then il wait on adding dad back

MacZ

Should be safe when they reach 2-3cm. That species is known to sometimes choke on Corydoras pygmaeus, so the big mouth is quite roomy.

James52

Ok sounds good

MacZ

Remember that at that size you will have to start to move the juveniles anyway.

James52

Question I just got mom out and in a 20 long with dad and I have 2 other female apistos that didn't pair with the male. So if I add one of those females with the fry would she take over the mother role or no?

yukondog

So if I add one of those females with the fry would she take over the mother role or no?
It's really hit or miss with apisto's, I have one pair that will not eat/kill the fry and another that has no problem eating the fry, and just because the male/female git along this time the next time she can be the female from he**.

James52

Yea was a big miss had to intervene immediately. No fry got ate but she was charging them so took her out but fry are doing fine on their own.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
yukondog
Replies
Views
James52
  • Question
Replies
Views
yukondog
  • Question