If fish dealer does Quarantine, do I still need to Quarantine the fish?

jehorton

I have always had a QT tank but a year or so later I haven’t had one due to not having a new fish. I have a bigger tank setup and is now ready to go. Added my stock slowly to the tank over time and now almost all in the new tank.

My question is, if I buy from a reputable dealer ( wetspot ) , who already does a quarantine on all their fish, how important is it for me to do that?

Mcasella

I have always had a QT tank but a year or so later I haven’t had one due to not having a new fish. I have a bigger tank setup and is now ready to go. Added my stock slowly to the tank over time and now almost all in the new tank.

My question is, if I buy from a reputable dealer ( wetspot ) , who already does a quarantine on all their fish, how important is it for me to do that?
Stress of shipping causes lowered immune systems, getting new fish in your tank could cause them to catch something from your tank rather than coming in with something that they aren't yet immune too.

A201

Its your call whether you QT or not. In a perfect situation, of course, QT.
The majority of fishkeepers probably don't. If you choose not to QT, definitely buy from a reputable vendor. Research fish diseases & become proficient in the recognition of them. Familiarize yourself with the normal behaviors of the species you want to stock.

I don't usually QT new fish. I buy locally from two mom & pop stores that I've dealt with for over 20 yrs. Rules of the road: buy the most active,
aggressive fish from the vendors tank. Make sure the desired fish is eating. Have meds on hand just in case.

QT doesn't guarantee success. The worst disease outbreak I've ever experienced came from an aggressive Cichlid, bought from a big box pet store, that I had quarentined.
I've stocked approx. 75 African Cichlids, split into my two tanks, the past three years. No QT. Only one minor outbreak of Ick. Easily cured with heat treatment.

86 ssinit

I’m a fan of qt. Especially for shipped fish. As stated above shipping causes stress. When starting a new tank with new fish that tank becomes the qt. Sometimes when dealing with a lps and watching the fish for a few weeks I will add directly into my tanks. But if it’s new and I just want it it goes into qt for a month.

jehorton

I’m a fan of qt. Especially for shipped fish. As stated above shipping causes stress. When starting a new tank with new fish that tank becomes the qt. Sometimes when dealing with a lps and watching the fish for a few weeks I will add directly into my tanks. But if it’s new and I just want it it goes into qt for a month.

What about purchasing multiple types of fish from the same seller?

oldsalt777

Hello je...

If you maintain a clean tank and select fish that have good color, are active and look well fed, you don't need to quarantine new fish. I never have. Here's why, a tank maintained in pure water conditions and fish fed a balanced diet are healthy. The chances of healthy fish in pure water conditions being infected by some pathogen is very remote. Infections, parasites or anything like this aren't going to survive in clean water. I like to add a bit of standard aquarium salt to my tank too. A teaspoon in every five gallons of replacement water will stimulate the fishes' immune system and discourage the growth of any parasite.

Old

86 ssinit

It’s all about knowing your seller. Clean tanks healthy fish are a good sign. Fish look great after being in the store for a week is a good sign. Now if your looking at the weak fish in the group and feel you need to save it. Them I would qt.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views
Missy1313
Replies
Views
bizaliz3
Replies