If fish are pre-quarantined do I need to re-Quarantine them?

Wolfywolf

I’m planning on getting some fish from a dealer who quarantines their fish before shipment. First question is, if the fish come pre-quarantined do I need to quarantine them again when they arrive? Second question, how many fish should I put in at once in a 10 gallon quarantine tank?
To be more specific the fish will be neon tetras and harlequin rasboras

ProudPapa

Welcome to the forum.
  • There isn't a definitive answer to whether or not you should quarantine. Some people have never done it and never had a problem while others wouldn't dream of adding fish that hadn't gone through quarantine. There are also a lot of variables to consider. One of them would be the cost of your existing fish, because the more valuable they are the more you have to lose if you don't quarantine and introduce a problem, but that's only one of the variables.
  • I can't answer how many you could put in a 10 gallon tank without knowing what kind of fish you're talking about.
Just to double-check, I assume these fish are going into an established tank? I'm asking because some new fish keepers think they should quarantine fish before putting them into a display tank even if they're the first fish going into the tank. The only reason I can think of to quarantine in that case would be the lower cost if you have to medicate, since quarantine tanks are typically smaller than the display tank.

Wolfywolf

Welcome to the forum.
  • There isn't a definitive answer to whether or not you should quarantine. Some people have never done it and never had a problem while others wouldn't dream of adding fish that hadn't gone through quarantine. There are also a lot of variables to consider. One of them would be the cost of your existing fish, because the more valuable they are the more you have to lose if you don't quarantine and introduce a problem, but that's only one of the variables.
  • I can't answer how many you could put in a 10 gallon tank without knowing what kind of fish you're talking about.
Just to double-check, I assume these fish are going into an established tank? I'm asking because some new fish keepers think they should quarantine fish before putting them into a display tank even if they're the first fish going into the tank. The only reason I can think of to quarantine in that case would be the lower cost if you have to medicate, since quarantine tanks are typically smaller than the display tank.
Sorry for not specifying the fish (I had edited my original post to include them but must have been before you saw it), they will be neon tetras and harlequin rasboras. The tank will be cycled but will not have ever contained any fish. I do plan on adding my fish in batches (as per the typical advice unless you think that’s unnecessary), will the other batches I add need to be quarantined? (I understand you said that if they’re the first fish going into the display tank they don’t need to be quarantined, right?)

ProudPapa

Yes, if these will be the first fish going into the tank there is no need to quarantine, since the purpose of quarantining incoming fish is to prevent infecting fish you already have.

I can't answer whether or not you should quarantine later additions. When I was adding fish to my 65 gallon tank I usually quarantined them, but not always. I've never quarantined any fish going into any of my smaller tanks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Fwreef86
Replies
Views
bananasmile
  • Question
Replies
Views
newclassic1