If A Dalmatian Molly Has No Spots, Is It Still A Dalmatian Molly?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jiminey, Jul 17, 2017.

1. JimineyNew MemberMember

IMG_1601.JPG This little guy, about 6 months old with his siblings has no spots at all on him. He is completely pure white. Is he still considered to be a Dalmatian?

2. bgclarke

bgclarkeWell Known MemberMember

Name him Albert Bino

Interesting.
    Without any coloration I'd say it would be a plain Molly.

3. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Yes, he is the 101'st dalmation, (you can see a couple tiny ones on him, but if he came from dalmation parents he is a dalmation, not a silver).

4. OP
    OP
    J

JimineyNew MemberMember

It looks like a bit of a spot in the pic... It isn't. Its just the pic. Pure white. I assumed he would develop them over time, after 6 months still none. Both parents are dalmations btw.

5. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAntWell Known MemberMember

I'm sure since he has the Dalmatian genes he's considered a Dalmatian.

My question is if you were to breed him to a silver would you get any dalmatians at all.

(I love thinking about how genes play around )

6. OP
    OP
    J

JimineyNew MemberMember

Id be curious to know if anyone else has had one before. And how long before spots showed up. If none show up in a few months I may try breeding him with a none dalmation. Would be curious to see those fry.

7. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAntWell Known MemberMember

I've had something similar happen. I had a few micky mouse platys spawn and got a solid orange one. She ended up giving birth to micky mouses.

8. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

not sure about the genetics of dalmations so i dont know if it could be called a dalmation. But im a serious breeding effort it would be a cull.

9. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Cull...blah, blah,blak.
    He's a cutie. I've seen Dalmatian Mollies that are all black when full grown. Are they black mollies or dalmation mollies?
    I would breed this one above all the others because I would have a greater chance of getting dalmation mollies that were not all black at maturity.

10. OP
    OP
    J

JimineyNew MemberMember

Would never cull him!!! Only been in the hobby for a year, can't bring myself to cull any of them. I have separated a couple over that time that probably should have been, although I also have a tetra that has a nasty pop eye. He has been going strong for over 6 months still and shows no signs of slowing down!

Sounds like he might be more rare then I thought. Will very much take care of him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice