Idk What This Algae Is, Need It Off Plants. | Page 2

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Greengirl87, Jun 24, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Greengirl87

Greengirl87Valued MemberMember

Understandable. I'm 32 and don't have kids. Likely won't have kids, but you never know. However for the time being, my scale babies are my kids.

2. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, I was wondering if I put them all together now that he is an old man. I wanted to build them a nice viv in my 46g bow. But I'm too scared to try! Sorry about the hijack btw, you mentioned your pets and it's all over from there.

Getting back to your issue with the brown stuff, I'd treat it as cyanobacteria. I don't use antibiotics myself, but manual removal and h2o2 spot treatment on the blue green foul smelling stuff. The brown stuff I just roll into a ball and remove. Might have to be an everyday thing for a bit until it gets under control.

3. OP
    OP
    Greengirl87

Oh no, totally understandable! I get really excited telling people about my reptiles and my fish. I get it. Lol! Ya I'm not so worried about ridding this tank of the algae. Like I said, I'm breaking it down soon. Just need to put the plants in other tanks and don't wanna spread this nasty stuff. The second my 55 is cycled, my angel is going in there. The neon dg and cories are going in other tanks, just as soon as I get all that sorted. Though I might leave this 37 running as qt/just in case tank for a little while when I get all my new fish. Maybe when it has no inhabitants I'll do some experimenting with it to see what if anything will get rid of the algae.

4. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Sounds like a great plan ;) I always QT! So worth it!

Let us know if you figure anything out experimenting! I did the same thing with my problem tank, kept it going fishless for 6 months to 'sterilize' it and used it as a QT. I didn't have any problems with the cycle adding 16 flame tetras at once. Not that it's a ton of bioload, but I find beneficial bacteria perks up quickly when it has food again.

Btw, crested geckos are so cute! My BFF had one. He was so cute with his big eyes and the way he made little underground tunnels in the sand.

5. OP
    OP
    Greengirl87

Confused by this. Cresties are arboreal. Really only dig if they need moisture and can't find it anywhere else. Females do it for laying eggs. But that isn't really tunneling. And you wouldn't want them on sand, because it doesn't hold humidity, and they need high humidity. Are you perhaps thinking of something else besides a crested gecko?