Idk if its bad or good

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Popcornfrenzy, Jul 26, 2015.

1. P

Popcornfrenzy Valued Member Member

I recently Bought a goldfish in a 10 gallon tank but searched in google it need 20 gallon tank but i really want a golfish does that mean im a bad person? but 20 gallon tank is expensive here in philippines its P500 pesos ps idk what to do...but i love there shiny colors and i cant buy other fish its so expensive the least expensive fishes here are goldfish and poecilla fishess and janitors but i have a 20 peocilla fishes before i dont want to care again for another bunch of this fishes and i want to upgrade and if my goldfish stay alive in christmas maybe i can buy him/her a 20 gallon tank if its still alive...

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello,

Do the best that you can for your fish and upgrade when funds permit. Be sure to keep an eye on your water parameters as Goldfish are large waste producers and you may have to do a few extra water changes until you can upgrade. Weekly water changes are a must and again, maybe even more than once per week under these circumstances.

Best wishes for your tank and fish!

Ken

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Agree with the above poster. ^^

What kind of goldfish do you have? Can you post a picture?

4. OP
    OP
    P

its a common goldfish named goldie :)and i change the water 100% every week is that good?

5. Reyes

Reyes Valued Member Member

Hi there:) To be honest, Common Goldfish should not be kept in tanks, they grow too much and they are only suitable for ponds, but now that you have him let's try to do the best for him.

Do you have a filter in your tank? Do not change 100% of the water every time, you are taking all the good bacteria away. If you have a filter you will need to do 25% every week with treated water, not straight from the tap.

6. BornThisWayBettas

I agree with the first part of your post mostly, as common goldfish do get very big and have a huge bioload and either need huge tanks or ponds. Therefore, a 20g won't be sufficient, imo, I'm sorry to say.

The second part I disagree with, as while it's rather inconvenient to do a 100% water change, beneficial bacteria also does not live in the water, rather, it lives in the filter media. So, if you do a huge water change, you don't lose your bacteria, if you change the filter media, you lose all your beneficial bacteria.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  7. OP
    OP
    P

if i do 25% im thinking of the poops i got gravels and i need to clean it every week and idk how if i dont change the water 100%

and i do have big air pump (Dancing Bubbles) and a filter

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  8. BornThisWayBettas

Using a gravel vacuum. :)

9. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I agree that you shouldn't be losing much bacteria in the water during water changes. The main concern with doing large or 100% water changes is if your tap water ph is higher or lower than it previously was in your tank it can shock the fish. Also if doing 100% changes that means you're netting the fish out which is very stressful for them. It's better to do 25-75% changes (depending on your water quality).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. OP
    OP
    P

ok TY

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice