Iding A Rock For My Aquarium

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
good evening I’m sure I have but this in the wrong forum but I can’t find the right place. So if you need to move it to the right place thank you.

I have found a rock I would like to put in my tank put I don’t know what kind it is and if f it s safe to the water and fish. So can someone tell me what it is or if there is a way to test it to see if it will hurt my tank or fish.

Attachments

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No idea what type of rock that it... perhaps granite?

To test it, put a few drops of vinagre on it and see what happens. If nothing happens, then its probably safe. Since its small enough, i would boil it first though just to make sure you kill everything (doesnt look porous to me but you never know)

sloughdog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m guessing granite too or similar hard rock. You could:
A) use vinegar test- if it fizzes it’s not safe
B) putwater in a bucket and test the water. Place rock in bucket of water and test water again in couple weeks to see if any changes in water parameters.
C)nitrate from test kit -same as vinegar test.

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok so update I but some vinegar on the rock today and nothing it ran down the rock like water no fizz. Now I should boil it to kill anything that could be on it but I’m not sure how long to boil it for can anyone tell me what should be good.

sloughdog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn’t recommend boiling the rock as it can explode. All it takes is an air pocket inside the rock, that air expands and boom the rock explodes (think of it like a rock in a camp fire that pops/explodes). I would just pour boiling water over it.

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thx for the reminder about that I forgot about that should have known that lol.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sloughdog said:
I’m guessing granite too or similar hard rock. You could:
A) use vinegar test- if it fizzes it’s not safe
B) putwater in a bucket and test the water. Place rock in bucket of water and test water again in couple weeks to see if any changes in water parameters.
C)nitrate from test kit -same as vinegar test.
so are you saying thats the 2 nitrAte test bottles will cause a reacion to rock like vinigar does? thats a great fact if so! is it both test #1 and #2?

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ms rose said:
so are you saying thats the 2 nitrAte test bottles will cause a reacion to rock like vinigar does? thats a great fact if so! is it both test #1 and #2?
Probably #1 since it says it's corrosive to metal.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom