Identifying why Dwarf Gourami Died

mountaingiant

I had a Neon Dwarf Gourami in a 27 gal. community tank. I euthanized him yesterday as his health deteriorated rapidly. About two weeks ago I noticed a hole in his dorsal fin, than some small lumps and lesions over his body and gill. A few days later a hold in his tail fin. Yesterday morning I found him on his side gasping for air. I ended up using clove oil to put him down because I didn't want him to suffer anymore.

I did read about the virus that Dwarf Gouramis are prone to have and I will never buy a gourami after this again. I took some pictures and was hoping someone could recognize if it was infact DGIV.

My questions is, if it is DGIV, can that spread to my other fish? I have a female dwarf gourami, but the rest are tetras, SAE, Pleco, shrimp, Danios and Cory's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220124_115105.jpg
    20220124_115105.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220124_115010.jpg
    20220124_115010.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 7

kevorsen

I once had 2x Dwarf Gouramis, and they didn't like each other. One day, one hurted the other, so I separated them. The one that's hurt had a skin leison, which I hope will heal, but never did... Tried many methods.

but even more strange.. after the 2 gouramis were separated, it was the Healthy one that 'suddenly died', was eating in the morning, and in the afternoon, dead in the corner.

The one that was injured with skin leison actually lived for another 3mths, he was low appetite but was still making bubble nest, so I thought he will slowly recover... but in time, he too suddenly died and found dead in the corner.

ALL this happened, when all other fish were totally ok for 2 years now.

I think Dwarf Gouramis are just very prone to sudden death.
will like to hear from the other experts too.

ProudPapa

I did read about the virus that Dwarf Gouramis are prone to have and I will never buy a gourami after this again. I took some pictures and was hoping someone could recognize if it was infact DGIV.

There's no need to give up on all gourami. The other gourami species are much less prone to the health problems that plague dwarf gouramis.

MacZ

I took some pictures and was hoping someone could recognize if it was infact DGIV.
90% sure it's DGIV.
My questions is, if it is DGIV, can that spread to my other fish?
It has only been confirmed in Labyrinthfish (bettas & gourami). I'd only have secondhand info on it spreading to other fish families.
I have a female dwarf gourami
Sorry to say so, but I would cull that one.

I will never buy a gourami after this again.
It would suffice to avoid labyrinthers for at least a year. If it doesn't spread to other species this should be enough for the system that is your tank to be free of that virus.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SLuGz
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
Replies
Views
saltwater60
Replies
Views