Identifying Strange Green Stuff

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Aquaboy, Apr 11, 2017.

1. A

Aquaboy Valued Member Member

Can anyone identify what this is? The tank was already set up so I don't know what was used.

20170411_102138.jpg 20170411_102154.jpg

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!
    It almost look like hair algae...what kind of tank is it? And i might change my answer depending on where it it. In the first pic, it looks as if the there are layers of substrate creating a sort of cliff. Maybe a zoomed out picture/ whole tank picture would be better please? So we know what were dealing with and maybe figure out what was supposed to be in there!

3. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Looks like whoever had the tank added about 3 inches too much fluorite.

It's green hair algae feeding on the ambient light in the room and abundance of detritis under the substrate.

It all has to go.

Take out the fish and plants, clean the tank with warm water and remove all the algae and add a new substrate no more than 1.5 -2 inches deep.

It's a shame that beautiful glossostigma carpet has to go. I might shed a tear or 10 myself...

4. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Ive never seen that much fluorite at once before. Kinda curious to see how big this tank is...

5. OP
    OP
    A

Can I keep the plants like the rotala, alterna, ludwigia, etc.? I removed a small square section of the carpet to put in my other tank, do I have to remove that also?

20170411_114915.jpg

If I bleach dip the plants can I just replant them after I clean the tank?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
  6. MikeRad89

If you removed a plant and put it in another tank that's fine.

Even the plants in this tank will all survive. You just need to get rid out about 2 inches of that substrate.

You can save some to put back in if you want, but the entire tank needs to be taken apart, the algae and gunk under the substrate removed, then all plants can be re planted in an appropriate layer of substrate.

EDIT - absolutely beautiful tank. Whoever did it knew for the most part what they were doing, you've just got way too much thickness to that layer of substrate.

I would remove some and try to preserve the aquascape as best I could.

7. OP
    OP
    A

Thank you, my only concern is that the temporary house for my fish shrimp and snails is another tank that is the same size with 1 Betta in it. Will they be okay together for a few hours?

8. MikeRad89

If you could pick up a Rubbermaid tote and attach your filter and heater to it they can house the fish for as long as you need to work on the tank. They're extremely cheap.

Honestly if you have any large pot you use for cooking that you can put your filter on that's fine.

I've used a 10 gallon stainless steel pot I used to cook lobster in at least 50 times while rescaping tanks.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  9. Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

I don't think I would chance the betta as a roommate even for the short term unless you've tried housing him with others in the past. Temperaments vary a lot, but you probably won't know if he'll attack the other fish or try to eat the shrimp and sails until they're in the tank with him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice