Identifying snail

Mully60

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
OK, thanks! I was hoping that's what it wasn't but wasn't sure. Almost threw it out

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Mully60

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Perfect! They must have come with one of my plants. MTS were the ones I wanted to get anyway.

Mully60

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Haha that's very true. I have heard a lot of negative things about snails but mostly good with the MTS. I also have sand so I'm hoping there will be benefits to having them. Guess only time will tell

Bluestreakfl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Theyre supposed to be great for keeping sand aerated. Also as long as youre not overfeeding they shouldnt become overpopulated.

Mully60

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks EricV I'll let you know as soon as I get to 50 posts!

That's what I have heard so that's what I'm hoping for. I feed twice a day but I don't think I am over feeding. I guess I'll find out if they start multiplying rapidly.

Bluestreakfl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My infestation is with bladder snails in my 55g. Ive managed to get the population somewhat under control. What irked me was I had 2 assasin snails, and they were steadily eating the pest snails. I got 2 more assasins to help speed it up, and apparently one was a female, because now they spend 80% of their time all clung to eachother in a big assasin snail glob. Ive been hand removing snails in large batches twice a week, and im finally starting to see some real results.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My infestation is with bladder snails in my 55g. Ive managed to get the population somewhat under control. What irked me was I had 2 assasin snails, and they were steadily eating the pest snails. I got 2 more assasins to help speed it up, and apparently one was a female, because now they spend 80% of their time all clung to eachother in a big assasin snail glob. Ive been hand removing snails in large batches twice a week, and im finally starting to see some real results.
Yea that's the problem with getting multiple snails... you never know the gender and instead of doing their job, they just end up mating lol... But MTS are hermaphrodites.

Bluestreakfl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Bladder snails are also Hermaphrodites, and 2 can mate and both will be able to lay eggs. Ive noticed since adding the guppies to the 55g, I dont see any more babies. I believe theyre picking and eating the eggs, theyre such good little billy goats.

Mully60

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah I can see that as being a problem. I only saw one snail so far so I'm hoping all I have are MTS.

Mully60

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think I may have an issue. I got home from work tonight and found 4 of these crawling around on my plants...

Any idea what they may be?

Attachments

Jswin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think I may have an issue. I got home from work tonight and found 4 of these crawling around on my plants...

Any idea what they may be?

Bladder snail. I had one in mine. Get it out before they take over

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom