Identifying snail

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Mully60, Jul 23, 2015.

1. M

Mully60 Valued Member Member

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is able to identify what type of snail this?

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

That is a Malaysian Trumpet Snail.

3. OP
    OP
    M

OK, thanks! I was hoping that's what it wasn't but wasn't sure. Almost threw it out

4. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah definitely a trumpet snail. :)

5. K

Kyle 2048 Valued Member Member

6. OP
    OP
    M

Perfect! They must have come with one of my plants. MTS were the ones I wanted to get anyway.

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

You sure about that?

8. OP
    OP
    M

Where they came from? or they were the ones I wanted?

9. Dom90

Were they the ones you wanted? You know the phrase, be careful what you wish for hehe.

10. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

If you want more when you get the killifish just let me know. I have plenty of them roaming about my tanks.

11. OP
    OP
    M

Haha that's very true. I have heard a lot of negative things about snails but mostly good with the MTS. I also have sand so I'm hoping there will be benefits to having them. Guess only time will tell

12. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Theyre supposed to be great for keeping sand aerated. Also as long as youre not overfeeding they shouldnt become overpopulated.

13. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks EricV I'll let you know as soon as I get to 50 posts!

That's what I have heard so that's what I'm hoping for. I feed twice a day but I don't think I am over feeding. I guess I'll find out if they start multiplying rapidly.

14. Dom90

Overfeeding can lead to a MTS population explosion, watch out! I think Bluestreakfl is going through a similar case...

15. Bluestreakfl

My infestation is with bladder snails in my 55g. Ive managed to get the population somewhat under control. What irked me was I had 2 assasin snails, and they were steadily eating the pest snails. I got 2 more assasins to help speed it up, and apparently one was a female, because now they spend 80% of their time all clung to eachother in a big assasin snail glob. Ive been hand removing snails in large batches twice a week, and im finally starting to see some real results.

16. Dom90

Yea that's the problem with getting multiple snails... you never know the gender and instead of doing their job, they just end up mating lol... But MTS are hermaphrodites.

17. Bluestreakfl

Bladder snails are also Hermaphrodites, and 2 can mate and both will be able to lay eggs. Ive noticed since adding the guppies to the 55g, I dont see any more babies. I believe theyre picking and eating the eggs, theyre such good little billy goats.

18. OP
    OP
    M

Yeah I can see that as being a problem. I only saw one snail so far so I'm hoping all I have are MTS.

19. OP
    OP
    M

I think I may have an issue. I got home from work tonight and found 4 of these crawling around on my plants...

Any idea what they may be?

Attached Files:

20. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

Bladder snail. I had one in mine. Get it out before they take over

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice