Identifying Small Brown Fish

1. Andrew2003

Andrew2003 Initiate Member

I was looking around forums on a different site and found a picture. Now the picture is mostly of a plant but there is a little fish at the top. I don't know what this fish is and I would really like it in my aquarium

2. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

It looks like a very small chocolate gourami???

3. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

It does look like a very young chocolate gourami (Sphaerichthys osphromenoides). It isn't a fish I would keep without doing a lot of serious research first. It isn't the easiest fish to keep, although it is an extremely interesting species.

4. OP
    OP
    Andrew2003

Andrew2003 Initiate Member

Sure is a tiny gourami. I currently have a blue and gold gourami so I have had experience with gouramis. Probably not gonna get it though. Anyways, thanks for the help

5. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Am I the only one not seeing a pic ?

6. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Same here. Maybe it was removed if it was from a different site

7. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

The biggest mistake we can make is lumping fish together. A blue gourami and a chocolate gourami are so different to keep that it is hard for someone who doesn't want to bother checking the differences out to understand. Blues, honeys, etc are among the easiest aquarium fish to keep.
    Chocolates are one of the toughest fish in the hobby - evolved in extreme conditions and not able to adjust to conditions far from its natural habitat (extreme soft water, super clean water, quiet). I've had fish for 50 years, and I've shied away from that one. I've seen them many times, and friends have kept them. A few have bred them. But those pretty little fish are a test of skill.
    It's a simple lesson. Respect diversity. Don't lump things together or make assumptions based on trade names. Don't be afraid to research and learn. Once you have the name of a species, that's just a toe in the doorway.
    It's a shame the shot with the the thread was deleted.