Identifying Plants From Petco

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by RyleighJ, Apr 23, 2017.

1. RyleighJ

RyleighJValued MemberMember

The lfs I usually go to doesn't have a great selection of plants, so I bought a bunch from Petco. They had labels, but I don't trust Petco in the slightest and would like to know what they actually are. Care tips would also be great!

(Numbered for convenience)

58837a65124e877c45767037de0c7eb1.jpg

2. (The fluffy one in the middle)
    26047556e33a4b3441eb6ad3b14db8e8.jpg

cc7af79a58fcbd69ed690d3f180dd764.jpg

4. (The yellowish one in front)
    c4f88d2b1270192f5a4664bb1c07e4f0.jpg

5. (The leftmost one)
    964aa560fe08dc3addb0ca00c81e7960.jpg

I think 4 and/or 5 may not be completely aquatic... How do I keep them alive in an aquarium, in that case?

Thanks!

2. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

1. Java fern, very easy, don't bury the rhizome. Tie to driftwood or a rock.

2. Micro sword

3. I'm not entirely sure. May be an amazon sword. What do the roots look like? If it is an amazon sword, it looks like it was grown emersed. If so, every one I have gotten that way stops growing the current leaves, but fear not! New leaves will quickly grow and they will look different, less stem. They also do better with root tabs.

4&5 both look like ribbon plants, and sadly are not aquatic. They will eventually die in the aquarium. They can grow if their leaves are out of the water, but may not do well if too dry.

Hope this helps!

3. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

Thank you!

For the Java fern, how do I attach it to the driftwood? Just tie it on with fishing line or something similar? (I'm not sure how, but somehow even with it submerged in the substrate, it's one of my only original plants I haven't killed Hopefully it'll do even better once I attach it to the driftwood!)

Number 3 has slightly thick white roots.

And what should I do about the ribbon plants (that, of course, I was sold as aquatic plants -.-)? My aquarium is really tall (about 2 or 3 times the height of the plants) so there's no way I can grow them with their leaves out of the water if I just leave them planted in the substrate like they are now. I'm thinking maybe I can move them to my 10 gallon with my ACF and lower the water level so that they stick out a bit... Or maybe I could try growing them in another container, semi-submerged until they get tall enough to put back in one of my aquariums. Until I do something with them, how long do they typically live underwater?

4. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazonWell Known MemberMember

Do you have your receipt still? I'm not sure about Petco's return policy, but if you can return the two ribbon plants, I would! Hopefully you can get your money back and maybe get some other plants! :)

EDIT: I think the third one is a peace lily. Also not aquatic. The leaves just look off for a sword plant. I have one in my tank and it was a tissue culture sword and it's leaves didn't look like that one.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  5. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

You can use thread to tie it to driftwood for java fern, you can also use superglue that is cyanoacrylate and glue it right on there.

6. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

I bought them in a in one of their bundles (I should have known better, but $6 for 4 plants was hard to pass up) and the other plants from it are doing well and are actually aquatic, so I'm not going to bother trying to return them. Considering only half the bundle was bad, I'm only losing about $3, and I'll probably spend more than that in gas going back to the Petco They'll look nice while they last, and maybe I'll keep them half submerged in a vase so I can keep them alive longer.

7. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazonWell Known MemberMember

That was a pretty good deal! :) I wish my store had nice plants like the ones you got! Putting the ribbon plants into a vase will probably be really nice. I'm not 100% sure about the peace lily idea so maybe hold out on removing that one for a little bit unless someone else can give a definitive id.

8. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

The two ribbon plants have started slightly rotting at the tips already, but the third plant hasn't yet. So fingers crossed it might turn out to be an aquatic plants (or maybe it just takes longer to die)

EDIT: I'm looking at pictures of Amazon swords and peace lilies now, and it doesn't quite look like either one of them. Both look really close, but they're not completely the same.

9. APierce

The third one does kind of look like a peace lily to me as well.

10. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

After posting that edit, I did some more looking through Google Images and got really excited when I saw one that looked exactly like my plant, called a Brazilian sword... Which is another name for peace lily >.>

a802786d0b08b1deb51402e4b878f72c.jpg

So much for "aquatic combo"

11. AngelTheGypsy

I fell for "Asian fern" (not aquatic) in a tube, and two "mondo grass" and a "Rotippa" out of the plant tank, also not aquatic. Do you are definitely not alone.

Before you give up on #3, google amazon sword emersed. Just to double check. I agree the leaves look a little thick and waxy, almost like an Anubias leaf, but they really do look different when grown out of water.

Since that tag has the scientific names on it you should be able to find specific info on those plants as well.

12. APierce

Note to self..."look up scientific names of plants before buying them" I'm going to be on this boat soon. You just saved me a lot of hassle :)

13. AngelTheGypsy

Yes, I've been taught that lesson at least 3 times now...it finally stuck!

14. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

For some reason it didn't occur to me to do that I think I just assumed they were labeled wrong and didn't bother.

The first one on the tag is the ribbon plants and the second is a peace lily, so that's definite. The last three are a type of grass, a fern, and some other random plant - none of which were actually in the bundle.

The bundle ended up coming with two ribbon plants and a peace lily, and I'm almost certain there was a fourth plant but I don't know what it was. I vaguely remember putting something from the bundle in my 10 gallon, but everything in that tank except the Java fern is dead, so...

15. APierce

You aren't the only one, I would assume (like many others I'm sure) that if it was labeled for aquarium use that it would be fully aquatic.

16. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

You would think They even had it fully submerged at the store, so it never even occured to me that I couldn't keep it, you know, fully submerged.

17. APierce

You'd think that would be like false advertising or something!

18. AngelTheGypsy

Yup. I bought 2 mondo grass out of the tank, fully submerged. They didn't last long. I found it at lowes in the garden center as a garden plant. I should have known better, I have it bordering flower beds all around my house, probably over 200 feet!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice