Identifying plant damage

syrisfox
Hello! I currently have two 20-gal tanks that are cycled and have been running for almost 2 years now. They are both filled with water wisteria, amazon swords, java Fern, cabomba. For the past 2 months, I've been noticing pinholes on my plants as well as yellow spots and leaves curling downwards.

I have been dosing extra potassium (as well as the usual macros, micros, root tabs and CO2) but I'm still seeing damage to them. There are snails in the tank that were hitchhikers that I left in there. I read snails don't eat healthy plants however I don't give the snails any food and keep the tanks clean of uneaten food. Is this snail damage or signs of a nutrient deficiency?

Thanks in advance!
Bump?

Cinabar
Pinholes and leaf deterioration like that is a textbook sign of potassium deficiency. Any chance you have a potassium water test? And can we get a nitrates reading?

syrisfox
Cinabar said:
Pinholes and leaf deterioration like that is a textbook sign of potassium deficiency. Any chance you have a potassium water test? And can we get a nitrates reading?
Okay, I'll continue to dose potassium! Nitrates are hovering around 10ppm at the moment. The tank is understocked so I dose nitrogen and test daily.

I don't have a potassium test but I am looking into ordering one. What reading is optimal for potassium?

Cinabar
syrisfox said:
Okay, I'll continue to dose potassium! Nitrates are hovering around 10ppm at the moment. The tank is understocked so I dose nitrogen and test daily.

I don't have a potassium test but I am looking into ordering one. What reading is optimal for potassium?
I've heard 5-10 ppm potassium is a good range. Similar to nitrates, you want to have at least a small amount present at all times. Also, if you have lots of java fern, that might be the culprit. Java fern really likes to suck all the potassium out of the water.

nzfszr
I had similar damages on my lemon's leafs. So I pruned half of it and started using potassium. After two weeks, it has become more strong than before. You can see the change on pics.

Here is before pruning, on the right side. This photo has taken in a months ago before I pruned off it. So the plant had worse conditions from here when I pruned off it.

Lemon Before Pruning.jpeg

And this photo has taken 3 weeks after pruning. You can see the difference. It is shorter than before but healthier.

lemon after purining.jpeg

So my advice is, cut off half of the plants and keep going with potassium.

tetrafins
You could also use some root tabs near the roots. From the picture above I feel like you are using regular gravel (l could be wrong here). I don't know about wisteria but Amazon Sword are heavy root feeders, having nutrients by their roots is definely a must , I learned this the hard way :v.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom