Identifying my fish

heyaa1987

Reaction score
HI I'm new to forum and also new in fish keeping! Just a question. I bought 2 kribensis today, and the shop owner said they were female and male I would kindly just like you experts to confirm this from my pictures please! The bigger 1 keeps chasing the smaller 1 so I thought to myself they mite be both males or something thanks !

This is the big 1
143.jpg

And this is the smaller 1
144.jpg

sorry if this maybe in the wrong topic thanks! Tim

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!
Hope you don't mind I moved your thread into the ID fish forum so you will get more responses.
at the top of the Krib forum is a sticky on sexing Kribs lets see if this helps you out

Carol

heyaa1987

Reaction score
Thanks and no not at all I didnt really know where to put my topic but thanks anyways. Hope some1 can help me as ive looked at sexing kribs and both mine look like males would love a second opinion.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I couldn't tell from the pictures if they have spots on them yet. They may be too young.
Females will have them on her tail(caudal fin) and her top fin(dorsal fin ) as well. Male will only have them on the caudal fin.
Carol

heyaa1987

Reaction score
Theres 1 sign they maybe female and male. The bigger 1 has a rounded tail and the smaller slightly pointed, that's the only sign I see! But doesn't resolve why the bigger 1 chases the smaller 1. Wont leave him/her alone I'm worried 1 of them may die. Thanks for your quick reply and help. Tim

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Heyaa, The bottom pic is definitely a Male, the top one is probably female, I could tell you for sure with a picture that includes all it's fins.

heyaa1987

Reaction score
Well thanks here some better pics with all fins on hope it helps to identify!

Smaller 1 >

Bigger 1 >

And is it also possible for these to eat neon tetras? As I cannot find or see 1 of my neons ! Thanks.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Heyaa,

I can't get your photos to open.

Ken

heyaa1987

Reaction score
strange can't seem to open myself either tried 2 upload site now not working?

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can't open the pics either. A fully grown Male Krib probably could eat a Neon if it could catch it, but it would be highly unlikely.

heyaa1987

Reaction score
Ah right click link and open in new tab works for me. And for 1 of them eating my neon I think they have ive had all the ornaments up and nothing there. I have a albino shark and he doesn't bother with them much although my golden gouramI gives them chase sometimes.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmmm, still tough from that picture. The smaller one is certainly Male, I'm still not sure about the larger one. Any chance of a couple more pics of the bigger one?

heyaa1987

Reaction score
Heres a couple more pics really hard to get a perfect pic!

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks, Well, I'm going to have to say that you have 2 males there I'm afraid . Did the pet store tell you which one was supposed to be female?

heyaa1987

Reaction score
The shopkeeper thought himself the bigger 1 was female. Really appreciate that as now I can take it back. He told me I could bring 1 back if they werent bonding or getting along. Now that explains the chasing ! which 1 you think I should keep ?! thanks again

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
These are my old Kribs, first is the male, second the female. Notice the rounded dorsal on the female, plus slightly more rounded tail and better colours, those are the best indicators of sex. If you want a pair, then I'd keep the bigger of the two, and see if you can get a female to pair with him.

Attachments

heyaa1987

Reaction score
Just had a female definitely a female with spots on dorsal and caudal fins. Put her in and they went close to each other at first, 10 mins later the bigger 1 chases her around like a nutter she just stays at top part of tank whilst the other patrols the bottom! Dont know what's wrong with this guy but hes aggresive. Any help would be kind thanks.

heyaa1987

Reaction score
2 kribs female or males.

I posted in Id section but I thought it would be better in here. Well hes my story I bought 2 kribs 1 smaller than the other put them in left them few days and the biggest 1 of them won't leave the other alone chasing it etc. So that's when I decided to get some help and posted in id section. I got told I had to males so I swaped the smaller 1 for another and this is definitely a female. So now I have big male and small female (so I think!:S). But the big male won't leave the female alone is fins raise and he goes in a vertical postion almost and darts for her. I thought to myself this isnt normal and now I'm posting here! Help as I don't want to loose any of them. Thanks

Male (I Think)

Female

If you can't view s right click open in new tab.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm at work and it can't open the links, whether using right click or not. Sorry. This should help.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It can take Kribs a few weeks to pair up together. Mine acted the same when I first got them. Keep an eye on them, just to make sure he isn't hurting her, but given time they should be fine together.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads