identifying fish

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
another question..where do you look when you want to see lots of pics to id a fish? I have one that has grown quite a bit in a short time and he/she is mean to everyone in the tank except the pleco and gold barb because they are bigger. He chases/nips everyone, and now the tips of his fins are white and I don't know if he is sick or he is just maturing. He eats fine and swims fine and chases everyone - makes me mad! He is not very "pretty" kind of like a minnow. Thanks for any suggestions.
Denise

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have several encyclopedias that I got at used bookstores which help me ID fish. Online, there are a number of sites.

If you could get a pic, we might be able to help you ID it. Be advised, though, that not all of the information on those sites are correct about all of the fish they list.

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks again Boxermom! I wish I could afford a digital camera to show you - would be so much easier than trying to describe...of course if I had that money I would probably spend it on another tank! I don't have a q tank yet...sigh...anyway, thanks for the scoop! I'll probably stay up too late tonight looking at those sites for my meanie fish! ha!
Denise

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most of the minnow shaped fish need to be in schools  where they chase each other and swim all over very fast. when they do not have others of their kind they tend to nip and chase the other fish in the tank and make a nuisance of themselves in general.
I think it could be a danio of some kind.
You could look at the fish stores and see if you see any like it and ID it that way. Just some thoughts
Carol

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Richard is the winner!!! hee hee! I have spent hours looking up all my fish on the sites Boxermom gave me and my little meanie is just that - a silver tip tetra!  ooh he makes me so mad...the tank is crowded now, so I can't really get him playmates to see if that will calm him down, either... anyway, thanks Richard for taking the time to answer my post.
Everyone here is so kind  :-*

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom