Identifying Fish? (And other noob questions)

1. Baba B Initiate Member

I have recently set up my first freshwater tank. I live in China, so there is a language barrier communicating with the fish sellers. They generally refer to the fish by their color and size rather than species names. After going through initially being misinformed by unscrupulous sellers and being totally ignorant of how to keep fish, I lost quite a few due to overstocking, not understanding nitrogen cycle, and mixing incompatible fish (~_________~)*

I've finally got my 43 liter tank stable and everyone looking happy and healthy.

I have a bunch of small fish that I originally thought were platys, but now that they are getting a bit bigger I'm thinking they are mollys. Can someone please tell me which species these fish are?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I have some fancy guppies that I really like. I would like to know if their subspecies have names. Unfortunately, I was unable to get photos of them in focus. Is there a good resource online somewhere which lists fancy guppy types with good pictures?

You can check out some footage of my tank here:
    [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV0vnuytin0”]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV0vnuytin0[/URL]

Pretty soon I'm building a 80cm*40cm*40cm tank (150 liters I think) to move the Angelfish and Rainbow Shark into. I want to give them more room, and get two more Angelfish.

If anyone takes the time to watch my video, do you think the hardscape and plants I have in the 43l tank now will be sufficient for small live bearer breeding (guppies mainly) once the larger fish are out of the thank?

Thanks in advanced everyone. I'm excited to start becoming part of the community here.

2. Airth Member Member

Hello and welcome to fishlore. =) I wasn't able to get the video to work for me so couldn't check that out.

As for the tank you're building, 150 liters is roughly 39 US gallons. A rainbow shark should be kept in a 55 gallon tank (208 liters). I also thing that 3 angels in a 150 liter is overstocked. I'd be careful with keeping angels in groups. They can be territorial and aggressive if they pair off and start spawning. =)

As for your pictures, they look more like mollies to me than platties. I can't see their anal fins really clearly but it looks like your silver one is a male and your orange one is a female.

3. Baba B Initiate Member

Thanks for answering! A 55 gallon tank isn’t really feasible for me right now, so I guess maybe I should just stick to two fish in the new tank. I know my 43L tank is still overstocked so I’ve been doing frequent water changes. Other than the shark picking on the goldfish, everyone seems to be doing okay.

Edit:Can one angel live happily without other angels in the tank?

4. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

The white fish are mollies, so is the orange one. The red one in the video is a platy. But 43 litres isn't big enough for any of those fish. A few guppies might be ok in it but they'll soon overstock it with fry. They'll all need to be transferred to your next tank. Both Mollie pictures show females. The goldfish is a coldwater fish and shouldn't be kept at tropical temperatures. Angels can live on their own but will eventually need quite a tall tank. :)