Identifying Corydora and Butterfly Loach

Davidh9054

I bought 2 corydoras labeled as Emerald Green Corys but I was looking at pictures online and they doing look like the ones I see online. Could it be because they are still small or are they a different type? I also have what I bought as a Butterfly Loach but i know that is just a general name for them. What type could it be?

Attachments

• 061521BF-6E29-4026-9314-D9F178349093.jpeg
    061521BF-6E29-4026-9314-D9F178349093.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 209D2E0F-2399-4D2B-AD1B-4727534DA5A2.jpeg
    209D2E0F-2399-4D2B-AD1B-4727534DA5A2.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 91D45B53-FCF4-4A9E-9A26-A85D61FCA46E.jpeg
    91D45B53-FCF4-4A9E-9A26-A85D61FCA46E.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 21
  • FD6ADC03-DFFB-411B-B74C-0522D9B859DE.jpeg
    FD6ADC03-DFFB-411B-B74C-0522D9B859DE.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 539055D9-FA58-44A3-A35E-BFD17C75C088.jpeg
    539055D9-FA58-44A3-A35E-BFD17C75C088.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 22

A201

Looks like Bronze Cory's aka Emerald Green Cory's to me. They likely will color up as they mature.
The loach looks like a reticulated Hill
Stream Loach.

Upvote 0

Davidh9054

Looks like Bronze Cory's aka Emerald Green Cory's to me. They likely will color up as they mature.
The loach looks like a reticulated Hill
Stream Loach.

ok so the bronze corys are the same as the emerald green corys?

Upvote 0

Davidh9054

Yes they are.

ok thanks. I wanted to get more as well as I understand that they should be in groups of 3 or more. When I got these two it was the only 2 they had left. If I get others of a different type will they still group up or school together or should they be of the same type?

Upvote 0

A201

It won't hurt anything to combine different species of Cory Cats. They probably won't school together, but certainly won't be aggressive towards each other.

Upvote 0

Davidh9054

It won't hurt anything to combine different species of Cory Cats. They probably won't school together, but certainly won't be aggressive towards each other.
Thanks it’s good to know hopefully tomorrow or sometime during this week I can go and pick up a couple more. One thing I am kind or worried of is with the hill stream loach, I have noticed this past week that the hill stream loach goes after the corydoras sometimes when they go near to where he is. I have also noticed that my dwarf gourami at times pecks at the hill stream loach until it moves away.

Upvote 0

A201

What you describe is nothing to worry about. The Hiilstream will not harm the Cory Cats & the Gourami likely won't injure the Hillstream.
Some fish try to establish territories & often get a little aggressive at feeding time.

Upvote 0

Davidh9054

What you describe is nothing to worry about. The Hiilstream will not harm the Cory Cats & the Gourami likely won't injure the Hillstream.
Some fish try to establish territories & often get a little aggressive at feeding time.

thank goodness. I had to dealwith really bad aggression a few months ago with a rainbow shark I had that I eventually had to take back to the fish store. He going after my harlequin rasboras all day. I noticed especially one of them was always pale and most of them would hide a lot. Once I too the rainbow shark out the rasboras colored up again and we’re out swimming around again like normal.

Upvote 0

chromedome52

ok so the bronze corys are the same as the emerald green corys?
No, they are not. Bronze Corys and Emerald Green Corys are generally assigned to two different species. The Bronze is the common Corydoras aeneus, while the Emerald Green is Brochis/Corydoras splendens. Body is structured differently, and the splendens has a longer dorsal fin. It also can get a bit larger than the aeneus.

Upvote 0

Davidh9054

No, they are not. Bronze Corys and Emerald Green Corys are generally assigned to two different species. The Bronze is the common Corydoras aeneus, while the Emerald Green is Brochis/Corydoras splendens. Body is structured differently, and the splendens has a longer dorsal fin. It also can get a bit larger than the aeneus.

ok so would you say they are bronze corys or emerald green?

Upvote 0

wateriswet

The ones you have look like bronze (aeneus) to me.

Upvote 0

Mcasella

You can get the albino aeneus cory to add to the shoal instead of a different species.

Upvote 0

Davidh9054

You can get the albino aeneus cory to add to the shoal instead of a different species.
Kind of a dumb question but how would I know the albino ones will the aeneus Cory and not another type?

Upvote 0

Mcasella

Kind of a dumb question but how would I know the albino ones will the aeneus Cory and not another type?
It is fairly difficult to find albino in other morphs at more common or chain pet stores. Rarely would they get in albino sterbai or albino peppered/paleatus cories (both of which have telling features, the albino sterbai have orange in the pectoral fins while the peppered/paleatus are longer in the face as well as appearing less armored than an aeneus albino - with a gray/blue iris versus the white iris aeneus albino have).

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
chromedome52
Replies
Views
eligri
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fishstery