Identifying Assorted Fish

Sabit Safwat Rahman

Active Member
Member
Messages
58
Reaction score
16
Location
Bangladesh
I have a few fish from a LFS that I'd like ID'd. I'm looking for a pair of centerpiece fish for a 30G with 2 angelfish(not sure if a pair,been there since wee babies). I know the neon tetras and the pearl gouramis, but don't have positive id's on the rest. if you could ID them like "pic <number>, <description> looking fish is <fish name>", that'd be wonderful.
IMG_20190625_161447.jpg IMG_20190625_161533.jpg IMG_20190625_161549.jpg IMG_20190625_161606.jpg IMG_20190625_161609.jpg IMG_20190625_161709.jpg IMG_20190625_162532.jpg IMG_20190625_162543.jpg IMG_20190625_162551.jpg IMG_20190625_162553.jpg
 

Coptapia

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,835
Reaction score
1,097
Experience
More than 10 years
1-3 Badis badis
4-5 albino Convicts
6 - albino Buenos Aires Tetras (?)
7-10 standard (?) Blue Ram
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Sabit Safwat Rahman

Sabit Safwat Rahman

Active Member
Member
Messages
58
Reaction score
16
Location
Bangladesh
out of these, which would be best for a beginner for these fishes and go well with a couple of angelfish in a 30g? I cannot provide live food with any regularity. It's also a gravel tank with no live plants, but I can add amazon swords relatively easily, if needed.
 

Coptapia

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,835
Reaction score
1,097
Experience
More than 10 years
Sabit Safwat Rahman said:
out of these, which would be best for a beginner for these fishes and go well with a couple of angelfish in a 30g? I cannot provide live food with any regularity. It's also a gravel tank with no live plants, but I can add amazon swords relatively easily, if needed.
None. Convicts - too aggressive, Buenos Aires - too cool, Badis - too shy, and Angels might bully/kill them, Ram - too hot.
 

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
30,046
Reaction score
4,271
Location
Lwhekk, Ssi-ruuvi Imperium
Experience
5 to 10 years
Out of all those, the black phantom tetras and the rams are most compatible with an angelfish.

Edit: Rams too hot? Angelfish can be at 80 F.
 

Coptapia

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,835
Reaction score
1,097
Experience
More than 10 years
Anders247 said:
Out of all those, the black phantom tetras and the rams are most compatible with an angelfish.

Edit: Rams too hot? Angelfish can be at 80 F.
There’s a slight overlap (Angels 75-80, Rams 80-90) but it’s the upper limit for Angels (comfort-wise) and the lower limit for Rams.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Sabit Safwat Rahman

Sabit Safwat Rahman

Active Member
Member
Messages
58
Reaction score
16
Location
Bangladesh
Coptapia said:
There’s a slight overlap (Angels 75-80, Rams 80-90) but it’s the upper limit for Angels (comfort-wise) and the lower limit for Rams.
Perhaps I should add that the angels I own have been born and bred in our country for several generations, where the water temperature stays at around 82-84F most of the year, and they have been at around that temperature in my aquarium for a fair while without any issues.
 

Coptapia

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,835
Reaction score
1,097
Experience
More than 10 years
Sabit Safwat Rahman said:
Perhaps I should add that the angels I own have been born and bred in our country for several generations, where the water temperature stays at around 82-84F most of the year, and they have been at around that temperature in my aquarium for a fair while without any issues.
Fair enough. Rams are compatible then.

Anders247 Many Ram habitats provide no shade. These Rams commonly live at temperatures that get well above 90. They’re summer temperatures, so I wouldn’t recommend it that warm constantly.
 

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
30,046
Reaction score
4,271
Location
Lwhekk, Ssi-ruuvi Imperium
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah I get that, which is why say long term. It's just that most fishkeepers don't change the temp of their tanks seasonally. It'd probably be a good idea though, tbh.
 

Coptapia

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,835
Reaction score
1,097
Experience
More than 10 years
Anders247 said:
Yeah I get that, which is why say long term. It's just that most fishkeepers don't change the temp of their tanks seasonally. It'd probably be a good idea though, tbh.
It would be, as the literature gives summer/breeding temperatures for most fish, and so they’re the temperatures people think the fish should be kept at. Which is why cichlids and such breed all the time. It also shortens their lives, slightly.

Temperatures are approximate, of course. “Angels 75-80” doesn’t mean they’ll suffer at 81... etc.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
Sabit Safwat Rahman

Sabit Safwat Rahman

Active Member
Member
Messages
58
Reaction score
16
Location
Bangladesh
I've eventually decided on a school of Cherry Barbs to be with the angels. I had the temperature at 28C previously, but I've set it at 30 yesterday, and both the angels and the barbs seem much happier at that. How would you explain it, considering cherries are suggested to be kept at 27 and angels at 28/29?

Edit: The cherries are imported, but the angels are locally bred, if that's any help.
 

Coptapia

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,835
Reaction score
1,097
Experience
More than 10 years
The range for cherry barbs is (approximately) 20-27. 27 is the upper end (summer/breeding temperature).
Angels, 24-30. Anything over 27(ish) is again summer temperatures.
If you’re keeping them at one temperature all the time, which most of us do, somewhere in the middle of their range is best.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
Sabit Safwat Rahman

Sabit Safwat Rahman

Active Member
Member
Messages
58
Reaction score
16
Location
Bangladesh
Need some more fish ID'd...figured I'd just post them here instead of opening a new post. Also... Angelfish compatibility, sexing and sex ratio? Thinking of getting a 55g/75g for the angels in a few months, so if these are compatible, I'll move these over too.
IMG_20190630_113536.jpg IMG_20190630_113659.jpg IMG_20190630_113701.jpg IMG_20190630_113704.jpg IMG_20190630_113709.jpg IMG_20190630_113710_1.jpg
 

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,213
Reaction score
11,080
Location
Saratoga NY
Experience
More than 10 years
No expert at all on those but they look to be Mbuna from Africa ?
If so they are not compatible with any other fish at all.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
260
Guests online
3,428
Total visitors
3,688

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom