Identifying A Cichlid, Plz Help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ashto Brado, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Ashto Brado

Ashto BradoValued MemberMember

Okay, so I recently got a 30 gallon tank (most disgusting tank I've ever seen or cleaned, took 3 hours for the pebbles) for free as long as I could haul it out. I drained the water, and hauled it off. It came with a free fish, a 14 year old, partially blind, and malnourished cichlid. I don't know what species it is since it seems to hav it's color almost completely drained. I've been feeding it pellets and soon actual cichlid food, just its ate flakes it's whole life. I can identify cichlids usually, but this one has stumped me, leave ur thoughts, ideas, or etc down, btw, it's in a 10 gallon quarantine right now. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Had to use net to get him out of his hiding place to get a good shot btw...

I need to know Wut cichlid I just got, more of I'm curious. It's 14 years old and it's partially blind and malnourished, got it for free and quarantining it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017
  2. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

It is an mbuna Cichlid from Lake Malawi. The tail seems too small for a peacock from the same lake. You'll never get the species most likely, if it even is a species - there are so many hybrids in the pet trade. The patterning is called OB, and the fish needs hard water, a temperature around 25 and a lot of room. It is an aggressive fish that lives among rocks.

3. OP
    OP
    Ashto Brado

Cool, just needed to know, he will be going into a 70 gallon cichlid tank, thx!

4. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Could you get a better picture of his head and mouth? Preferably of his good side. The fins looks kinda like a African peacock but I can't tell for sure without looking at its head. It could very well be a crossbreed or "mutt" African as they are pretty common and won't look like any specific species.

5. OP
    OP
    Ashto Brado

Just got a reply that it's a mixed mbuna, apparently it's back fin is too short or something for a peacock, thx tho

6. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

It looks nothing like a peacock to me. The faces are far more elongate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice