Identify unknow disease - with picture

Lepomis

Hi. I am trying to identify a disease on my sunfish.
There are large white cysts on the fins. Thay are much bigger than ich, and
the spead is much slower than for ich. I have tried treating with ich-x for several
days which seemed to have little effect. Does anyone know what this is?
Thanks for any help anyone can offer. Mike
picture below:

1632202508068.png

mimo91088

Looks like it could be lymphocystis. If that's the correct diagnosis, it's a viral infection and therefore not easily treatable with meds.

Lepomis

Dear Mimo,

Thanks for your reply. I think you could be correct. I had looked in lymphocystis,
but the pictures I've seen the lumps on the body are more irregular in shape and also bunched together with more of a rough-edged top. It could be that my fish is in the early stages of the disease so that the cysts have not grown as much or come together yet -- but there seems to be a lot of cysts for that to be the case. Perhaps this is a related viral disease. The fact that the cysts so far do not seem to bother the fish much if at all and the relative slowness with which the disease has spread also maybe does fit better with lymphocystis than other possibilities.

Thanks again!

Best, Mike

mimo91088

Dear Mimo,

Thanks for your reply. I think you could be correct. I had looked in lymphocystis,
but the pictures I've seen the lumps on the body are more irregular in shape and also bunched together with more of a rough-edged top. It could be that my fish is in the early stages of the disease so that the cysts have not grown as much or come together yet -- but there seems to be a lot of cysts for that to be the case. Perhaps this is a related viral disease. The fact that the cysts so far do not seem to bother the fish much if at all and the relative slowness with which the disease has spread also maybe does fit better with lymphocystis than other possibilities.

Thanks again!

Best, Mike
Yea the cauliflower looking lumps are the advanced stages of the disease. It's relatively easy to identify under a microscope if you have access to one.

Lepomis

Dear Mimo,

Thanks again. The cysts have (thus far) shown up only on the fins (and on all fins except the analfin). Do you know whether this is typical for lymphocystis? Many of the photos I've seen online have the cysts on the body proper. Of course the fins do
not have a slime coat as much and so may be more vulnerable.

Best,

Mike

P.S. I don't have access to a scope.

mimo91088

Dear Mimo,

Thanks again. The cysts have (thus far) shown up only on the fins (and on all fins except the analfin). Do you know whether this is typical for lymphocystis? Many of the photos I've seen online have the cysts on the body proper. Of course the fins do
not have a slime coat as much and so may be more vulnerable.

Best,

Mike

P.S. I don't have access to a scope.
The fins are one of the common places, but the disease it indeed capable of growing on the body as well.

Lepomis

Hi Mimo,

Thanks again for the input. Best...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
eperc002
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views