Identify This Snail

1. MelloYello

MelloYello Member Member

I just found this snail in my 46 gallon tank today...
    Pics of the snail I found.
    20170717_113203_HDR.jpg 283085-411831967548b0e216b936b57d4214ae.jpg 283086-84a6bc4c4268ac4ae172bc65aed21aeb.jpg 20170717_112522_HDR.jpg 20170717_112505_HDR.jpg
    -The snail does not have a trap door and is smaller then the largest pest snail I have... I introduced the pest snails on purpose before I even had plants... the plants all had a through inspection and bleach dip before entering the tank...

in other words. I have no idea where this snail came from... but it is kinda cute.

It looks nothing like any of the other snails I own.
    Here are pics of the two snail types I own:

20170717_112339_HDR.jpg 20170717_112326_HDR.jpg
    Anyone know what kind of snail it is?

NOTE: I don't hate snails, and I brought in live plants a little while back.

Attached Files:

2. Mothercrow

Mothercrow Well Known Member Member

It looks like a pond snail to me. Bladder snails are similar but their shell swirls in the other direction and their antenna (eye stalks? I can't think of the word) are thin and long, while pond snails have thicker, shorter antenna, like your little guy. I think pond snails grow slightly larger than bladder snails, too.

He's adorable, but he's definitely a pest snail.

3. OP
    OP
    MelloYello

MelloYello Member Member

Its good... do you know if they breed fast?

I have a puffer so thats why I have so many pest snails.

4. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Yes, they breed very quickly and reproduce asexually. You will occasionally find their egg sacks at the base of plants, they look like clear jelly beads (very hard to spot). Ive heard mulltiple accounts kf how puffers love them, though I've never tried it myself. Some people even set up a small tank to breed the snails, since the puffers often eat them before they have time to lay eggs.
    Good luck!!

5. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

I have several names I call these things but none of them are acceptable on this site. ;)

6. vin

vin Well Known Member Member

I call 'em fish food....

7. OP
    OP
    MelloYello

MelloYello Member Member

Thanks allot! I keep loaches in the tank that this snail was found in so they keep the snail levels managable but I pull any snails off the glass and leaves when I see em to feed to my puffer :D