Identify this gourami

Mii

I bought what I believed to be a honey gourami but someone on the forum told me that this is actually a thick lipped gourami. Well now I'm confused and just wanted to check to make sure. It's tail is ripped up in the photos because it keeps trying to start fights with my other gourami, which is stronger than him but he keeps picking fights because he dumb. I've been trying to reduce aggression but am considering just moving it to a different tank. To my knowledge this is a sunset color morph of the honey gourami but if this IS a thick lipped gourami let me know.
EDIT: people said the pics where too blurry so I uploaded a video I took awhile back to YouTube here's the link

IMG_20200801_132813079.jpg

IMG_20200801_132809653_BURST001.jpg

IMG_20200730_190416453.jpg

kattiq

It definitely looks like a stressed honey gourami. I would definitely try to move him as soon as possible.
52DA8018-E02C-4098-8FF7-70D47E2B8556.jpeg

RomanNoodles96

Mii said:
I bought what I believed to be a honey gourami but someone on the forum told me that this is actually a thick lipped gourami. Well now I'm confused and just wanted to check to make sure. It's tail is ripped up in the photos because it keeps trying to start fights with my other gourami, which is stronger than him but he keeps picking fights because he dumb. I've been trying to reduce aggression but am considering just moving it to a different tank. To my knowledge this is a sunset color morph of the honey gourami but if this IS a thick lipped gourami let me know.

IMG_20200801_132809653_BURST001.jpg

IMG_20200730_190416453.jpg
Looks like a honey gourami to me

FinalFins

Can you please get better pictures? The glare off the gourami makes it tough but a guess would make it a thick lipped gourami.

Mii

People said the photos are unclear so I edited the post check the link to a YouTube video.

12Cin12

I've watched the video and compared them to my fish. My vote is that the yellow one is a true honey gourami, and the red one is a thick-lipped gourami. I had a red one just like yours that I had to remove it due to aggression. it was sold to me as a red honey gourami, but his/her aggression says otherwise. Interested to see what others think.

DoubleDutch

Thicklip to me. There isn't a honey colored like this.

FinalFins

I actually recall seeing a picture of an actual true red honey gourami but I forgot where I saw it- searching now.

Mii

DoubleDutch said:
Labeling is a true honey in mating.colors, the actual.fish are Thicklips.
Thanks. Probably gonna get a red one if I see it now that I know how to tell a mislabeled thick lipped from a REAL honey gourami

DoubleDutch

There are no true red honeys to me.

Mii

DoubleDutch said:
There are no true red honeys to me.
I've seen them online they have the body shape and breeding dress just like a real honey and not a thick lipped. The majority of the ones i've seen are thick lipped though.

DoubleDutch

Mii said:
I've seen them online they have the body shape and breeding dress just like a real honey and not a thick lipped. The majority of the ones i've seen are thick lipped though.
As meand with my post, fish shown online are often not the fish you're getting. Even in shops they'll.mix.them up.

Mii

DoubleDutch said:
As meand with my post, fish shown online are often not the fish you're getting. Even in shops they'll.mix.them up.
I know, but online i can confirm that red honeys do exist. Not that they're commonly found in the aquarium trade, and i know what to look for when buying now.

12Cin12

Mii said:
Thanks. Probably gonna get a red one if I see it now that I know how to tell a mislabeled thick lipped from a REAL honey gourami
Probably not a good idea. Your Thick-lipped gourami is trying to communicate that he wants to be an only gourami. They mix well with other community fish though. Here is what I think is happening In your tank:
Your true honey gourami is feeling amorous and insists on gaining the attention of a potential mate. Unfortunately for him, the other gourami is a beast - hence the torn tail. But Honey won't give up - he must have "her". If I may be so bold, I think the title of your other post is accurate- he's an "idiot". o_O

Mii

12Cin12 said:
Probably not a good idea. Your Thick-lipped gourami is trying to communicate that he wants to be an only gourami. They mix well with other community fish though. Here is what I think is happening In your tank:
Your true honey gourami is feeling amorous and insists on gaining the attention of a potential mate. Unfortunately for him, the other gourami is a beast - hence the torn tail. But Honey won't give up - he must have "her". If I may be so bold, I think the title of your other post is accurate- he's an "idiot". o_O
Firstly, i moved the thick lipped gourami to a different tank. Secondly, I don't know what you mean by saying my honey is trying to mate. The honey literally isn't doing anything, and then the thick lipped gourami would come and attack it, then the honey would fight back in self defense, and then you have a thick lipped gourami with a hurt tale. I am not putting ANY other gouramis with the thick lipped gourami.

AllAboutAngelfish

Looks like a honey gourami

+ i subbed to u

jinjerJOSH22

AllAboutAngelfish said:
Looks like a honey gourami

+ i subbed to u
It’s not, it’s a Thick Lipped :)

Top Bottom