Identify this fish!

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Steve106, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Steve106

Steve106 Valued Member Member

Hey everyone!

I found a fry in my tank a while back and have no clue what type of fish it is. Thoughts?

It was first discovered alone in a shrimp tank lol but i suspect it came in on some java moss I had transferred from a tank with rainbow fish, and a single golden wonder killifish. It looks like a gw to me, but i only had one in the tank so could it be a mix between gw and an Australian rainbow?

Here's the photo. . .

Attached Files:

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think rainbows and killies can hybridize.

3. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

how many rainbows r in there

4. OP
    OP
    Steve106

6 rainbows...but his body shape and fins look totally different than my rainbows...unless they change with time

5. Ethan

i have no real experience with rainbow fish but if you have 6 in your tank it is highly likely it is one of their spawn that survived the natural culling lol

6. OP
    OP
    Steve106

That was my original thought too, it seems the most likely...but the body shape and fins are so different...idk lol

7. Ethan

i know the feeling haha i bought a baby betta 3 days ago and it looks so much different from a fully grown :p

8. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Killifish imo. The rainbows can't hybridize with killis.

9. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Also the body shape looks nothing like rainbows (depending on the type you have of course). Plus it's supposedly rather difficult to breed rainbows. I'd go with a killi.

10. OP
    OP
    Steve106

My thought too, i only had one killi though, lol...plus it was a male.

11. OP
    OP
    Steve106

the tank i first spotted the fry in was outside for the summer, could it have been emaculate generation?

12. guppygrl

guppygrl Valued Member Member

No idea but wanted to say congrats on the new little fry!

13. OP
    OP
    Steve106

: ) thanks

14. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

Don't Killifish require that "drought" period for breeding? *shrug* I dunno, I just read up on them the other night, but it's sounding more like the Killi, :) maybe you've got more coming?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice