Identify this fish!

Steve106

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey everyone!

I found a fry in my tank a while back and have no clue what type of fish it is. Thoughts?

It was first discovered alone in a shrimp tank lol but i suspect it came in on some java moss I had transferred from a tank with rainbow fish, and a single golden wonder killifish. It looks like a gw to me, but i only had one in the tank so could it be a mix between gw and an Australian rainbow?

Here's the photo. . .

Attachments

Steve106

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
6 rainbows...but his body shape and fins look totally different than my rainbows...unless they change with time

Ethan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i have no real experience with rainbow fish but if you have 6 in your tank it is highly likely it is one of their spawn that survived the natural culling lol

Steve106

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That was my original thought too, it seems the most likely...but the body shape and fins are so different...idk lol

Ethan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That was my original thought too, it seems the most likely...but the body shape and fins are so different...idk lol
i know the feeling haha i bought a baby betta 3 days ago and it looks so much different from a fully grown

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Also the body shape looks nothing like rainbows (depending on the type you have of course). Plus it's supposedly rather difficult to breed rainbows. I'd go with a killi.

Steve106

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My thought too, i only had one killi though, lol...plus it was a male.

Steve106

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
the tank i first spotted the fry in was outside for the summer, could it have been emaculate generation?

Ziggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
the tank i first spotted the fry in was outside for the summer, could it have been emaculate generation?
Don't Killifish require that "drought" period for breeding? *shrug* I dunno, I just read up on them the other night, but it's sounding more like the Killi, maybe you've got more coming?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom