Help (identify This?) Disease Has "eaten" My Fish From The Outside!

marcus489

Reaction score
I need help identifying this disease that my dwarf gourami has had for about 2 months.
I was told by a forum member that the disease was Lymphocystis, and that I should keep him until the disease affects him badly. Well when this forum member helped me out, the disease originally appeared as pinkish growths that were protruding form the body. Now they have caved in and are literally eating my fish. Could someone please help me identify this and let me know if I should euthanize? And is it contagious?

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The problem looks to be Lymphocystis, a very bad case. The crater is probably the result of one of the growths sloughing
off. Another possibility is the species specific Iridovirus that has been affecting certain Gouramis.
Lymphocystis is mildly contagious. IMO, recovery is unlikely.

marcus489

Reaction score
The problem looks to be Lymphocystis, a very bad case. The crater is probably the result of one of the growths sloughing
off. Another possibility is the species specific Iridovirus that has been affecting certain Gouramis.
Lymphocystis is mildly contagious. IMO, recovery is unlikely.
Well, do you think I should just euthanize it soon? It hasn't improved since the time I first noticed symptoms. by "sloughing off" do you mean that it's going away? It doesn't seem that way to me..

If not, unfortunately I think it's best I euthanize so theres no chance of it spreading to my other gouramis, and so it doesn't have to live until the disease eats him so much and its fatal

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think the tumor tissue just slid off leaving a gaping crater.
I've only had one fish ever to be infected with Lymphocystis. He never got better and the two tumors continued to grow.
I made the decision to euthanize. No other tankmates got sick.

marcus489

Reaction score
I think the tumor tissue just slid off leaving a gaping crater.
I've only had one fish ever to be infected with Lymphocystis. He never got better and the two tumors continued to grow.
I made the decision to euthanize. No other tankmates got sick.
I just purchased some clove oil to euthanize.. but thanks for the quick and helpful reply

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom