Identify This Betta

  • Thread starter

fmgodoy01

New Member
Messages
26
Reaction score
18
Points
3
I’ve been having trouble trying to figure which betta this guy is. He’s small, about two inches. And he’s about eight months old now. Sweet little thing, he appreciates every tank mate hehas
719C355F-5EE5-4CFE-AA50-CCFDE2048CF4.jpeg
 

Frogtastic

Valued Member
Messages
58
Reaction score
26
Points
28
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you asking the tail type of which type of betta he is?
 

Blueberrybetta

Well Known Member
Messages
1,071
Reaction score
599
Points
128
Experience
4 years
His fins seem to be rotting a tad bit , off topic but I'd keep an eye out
 

MupsIsLife

Valued Member
Messages
67
Reaction score
25
Points
28
Hmmm i’m also having a bit of trouble identifying it. Maybe a spade tail? Beautiful betta btw :).

Oh now that I take a bit of a better look I’m pretty sure it’s a roundtail betta!
 

WhatsUpGuys

Valued Member
Messages
262
Reaction score
138
Points
78
Experience
5 to 10 years
Blueberrybetta said:
His fins seem to be rotting a tad bit , off topic but I'd keep an eye out
That’s just the coloration
 
  • Thread starter

fmgodoy01

New Member
Messages
26
Reaction score
18
Points
3
Blueberrybetta said:
His fins seem to be rotting a tad bit , off topic but I'd keep an eye out
He’s not rotting I promise, I think his fins may still be growing, I take good care of him :)

MupsIsLife said:
Hmmm i’m also having a bit of trouble identifying it. Maybe a spade tail? Beautiful betta btw :).
Thank you
 

WrenFeenix

Valued Member
Messages
275
Reaction score
205
Points
53
Experience
5 years
He seems to be a red and blue roundtail betta. His coloration is similar to a wild type betta splendens.
 

FathomtheFish

Valued Member
Messages
218
Reaction score
199
Points
53
Experience
1 year
WrenFeenix Betta Splendens is an entirely captive betta and does not exist in the wild. Perhaps you're thinking of another species?

I think he's a roundtail too. Very beautiful!
 

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,411
Reaction score
4,322
Points
448
Experience
5 to 10 years
Honestly his fins don't fit any specific classification. He's likely a mutt betta, probably has some VT and HM in him but that's about it. Colors are about as close to "wild type" as betta splendens get. He looks nice a healthy and his fins look in perfect condition too, keep up the good work.
 

Dewclaw83

Well Known Member
Messages
1,296
Reaction score
1,151
Points
173
Experience
4 years
FathomtheFish said:
WrenFeenix Betta Splendens is an entirely captive betta and does not exist in the wild. Perhaps you're thinking of another species?

I think he's a roundtail too. Very beautiful!
Funny... if they doesn’t exist in the wild, how do I own a wild one? Of course they still exist in the wild


MupsIsLife said:
Hmmm i’m also having a bit of trouble identifying it. Maybe a spade tail? Beautiful betta btw :).

Oh now that I take a bit of a better look I’m pretty sure it’s a roundtail betta!
definitely not a spadetail - those come to a point, this does not


Demeter said:
Honestly his fins don't fit any specific classification. He's likely a mutt betta, probably has some VT and HM in him but that's about it. Colors are about as close to "wild type" as betta splendens get. He looks nice a healthy and his fins look in perfect condition too, keep up the good work.
^This is pretty accurate.

He is a betta splendens. The finnage may be the result of combtail crossed back with a Halfmoon or delta. As he continues to grow and the edges stay like that, with the tiny spikes, I’d say it’s that cross. If the spikes get a little bigger, call it a combtail.
The coloration is royal blue with reduced red (that means the red is just on the fins). And yes, it’s very close to the wild type coloration :)
 

WrenFeenix

Valued Member
Messages
275
Reaction score
205
Points
53
Experience
5 years
I was wondering if there was a specific name for the red and blue colors he is. Royal blue with reduced red, got it!
Bettas with reduced red always are cool, no matter what. It’s like they have highlights in their already colorful hair/fins.

Most bettas available at pet stores are mutts of some type. Some of the combinations I’ve seen can be really awesome.
 

Dewclaw83

Well Known Member
Messages
1,296
Reaction score
1,151
Points
173
Experience
4 years
WrenFeenix said:
I was wondering if there was a specific name for the red and blue colors he is. Royal blue with reduced red, got it!
Bettas with reduced red always are cool, no matter what. It’s like they have highlights in their already colorful hair/fins.

Most bettas available at pet stores are mutts of some type. Some of the combinations I’ve seen can be really awesome.
It's not like the made up names like "Nemo Koi" or "Galaxy Koi" or "Black Orchid" - more a description of the color genetics. He has full spread royal blue in his iridescent layer, and red in his red layer, with a reduced spread - also known as reduced red. I don't think it has any kind of industry name though. I prefer the genetic descriptions anyways... more useful! :D

Color Genetics
 
  • Thread starter

fmgodoy01

New Member
Messages
26
Reaction score
18
Points
3
Demeter said:
Honestly his fins don't fit any specific classification. He's likely a mutt betta, probably has some VT and HM in him but that's about it. Colors are about as close to "wild type" as betta splendens get. He looks nice a healthy and his fins look in perfect condition too, keep up the good work.
Thank you! He was a lucky find at PETCO as a 2 month fry
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom