Identify them for me please

1. Thatguy007 Initiate Member

Hey guys just got 2 “sharks” from a friend who wlcouldnt house them. Can you please identify and give me some advice on care for these cool guys 1465691116346.jpg

2. Airth Member Member

From what I found scouring google it looks like these are just called black sharks. They're territorially aggressive and shouldn't be housed with each other unless in a very large tank. These guys will get to 12-24 inches and minimum tank size is 135 gallons for one shark.
    Here's a page for them: http://theaquariumwiki.com/Labeo_chrysophekadion

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Unless you have a pond or very large tank, I'd rehome both them and the goldfish in the tank. They're not really suitable for home aquaria.

4. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Those are ID sharks and they can grow up to 4' so I would move them along.

5. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

6. Thatguy007 Initiate Member

Oh thanks fornthe info. Yea i am int he process of making a 300 gallon pond for them but i didnt know what they were. They seem quiet. Maybe it was from the long drive transporting them. The guy ended up putting them in a cramped place which i was mad about but i got them home asap

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

A 300 gal pond isn't big enough for them. It may do for the goldfish, depending on the dimensions.

8. Thatguy007 Initiate Member

They are at the bottom of the tank swimming a little. Any ideas on why and if its normal for them to be quiet?

9. Thatguy007 Initiate Member

So reccomendations for the size of pond i would need ? 1000 gallon would do?

10. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

They're very underfed and very dark (stressed), they've just undertaken a journey from poor conditions to different water and a tank that's too small for them... it's not surprising they're lethargic.

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

They're stressed and in a too-small tank. They need to be in a much larger one to be healthy and happy.

And since they can get up to 4 feet long, you would want a pond that's at least 8 feet wide and 20 feet long.

12. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Given that they might grow to three feet long, I would say a pond size of 18' long x 6' wide x 6' deep as an absolute minimum. 4000g UK/4800g US, heated and filtered of course.

13. Thatguy007 Initiate Member

Due to their current size would they be able to live in the tank for now while i construct the pond? I took out my koi which i have to place in a pond also. Im currently in construction of 2 ponds. So the 2 sharks have the tank to them selves. The koi was trying to nibble on their tails and harassing them. I suspect it was due to the small tank size. Am i right?

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you make a pond that large?

15. Thatguy007 Initiate Member

I can try to facilitate them with the space i have. The pons may have to be a little shorter but wider in dimension. If i need a 1000 gallon ill have to make something happen. Just want to make sure they will have all the space they need

16. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

A 1000 gal tank isn't large enough for them, and they won't have the space they need. Can you find someone else to take them or give them back to your LFS?

17. Thatguy007 Initiate Member

seriously? Theys pretty huge. Sighs. Hmm. What does LFS mean? Sorry kinda new to a few things.

18. Thatguy007 Initiate Member

Does anyone here have a picture of what a suitable pond would look like for them?

19. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If you click on "LFS" (in blue), it'll give an explanation :)

And a suitable pond would be one with at least the dimensions that hampalong gave. It's not really feasible for most people. That's why I recommended rehoming them.

20. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

What dimensions would your 1000 gallon pond be? Could you seriously imagine two 3-4 foot fish in it, with plenty of room to swim?