Identify plz

FishBoy101

Well Known
Aquariuman said:
I got this fish thinking it was a pygmy gourami I was very wrong can someone please tell me what she is?
Looks like a ram, but don't hold me to that, I am not cichlid guy. Just a heads up, do your research before buying fish!! Always helps.

OP
Aquariuman

Aquariuman

I did research and I was looking for a pygmy gourami but I was optimistic when I saw this and thought it was what I was looking for, thanks tho

A201

Fishlore VIP
Just a guess, but I think the pictured fish is a juvenile Apistogramma Barlowi.

MacZ

Well Known
It's an Apistogramma. But I have no idea what species. Looks very pale and stressed. Just took me a few days to correctly identify my own (and it's not yet 100% clear wich subspecies, as the male hasn't fully coloured up yet.)

OP
Aquariuman

Aquariuman

It has been antisocial with other fish so Ill try to fix that and get some color

MacZ

Well Known
Aquariuman said:
It has been antisocial with other fish so Ill try to fix that and get some color
Fish are not antisocial. Fish behave like fish do and Apistogramma, as cichlids, are quite rough and can be territorial. There is nothing to fix about that.

MacZ

Well Known
86 ssinit said:
Yes it looks like an African cichlid. They are aggressive and do best with there own. If your not doing Africans I would return it.
That's not an african cichlid. I know my africans. ;)

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
MacZ said:
That's not an african cichlid. I know my africans. ;)
My apologies:) I don’t see many of these just the kribs(they are Apistogramma?). Thought they were more colorful. Could that be a female?

OP
Aquariuman

Aquariuman

86 ssinit said:
My apologies:) I don’t see many of these just the kribs(they are Apistogramma?). Thought they were more colorful. Could that be a female?
Yes I noticed that I is a female

MacZ

Well Known
86 ssinit said:
Kribs are the african pendant to Apistos, but not closer related than both being cichlids. Apistos are South American. It's either a young Apisto or a female. Female especially as it has quite a yellow tint. As I said, the species... I can't tell. Too early to tell.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
The black front rays on the ventral fins suggests female Apistogramma, but as to species, I think I could narrow it down to one of about 75-100 species. Especially if it is female, they are harder to ID than males.

New Threads