Identify Pleco?

accphotography

Hello,

I picked up a teeny little pleco at a LFS and I'm curious if anyone can help me identify which variety it is? The LFS thought it was a bristlenose but they weren't sure at all and it's so tiny I don't recognize many /any identifying features. I've had it a bit now so it's grown some but it's still maybe an inch or less. Cute little fella and busy natured.

Also, is it normal for them to have a gold metallic underbelly?? His literally looks like gold foil. I also saw him blink his eyes and either his eyelids (or 3rd eyelids if fish even have those) also reflected gold metallic. I've never had a pleco this small so not sure what is normal.

Thank you! If there's a particular type of photo that would help I can take more.

Attachments

• 20210714_154254.jpg
    20210714_154254.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 37

Yeoy

The markings/spots seem a touch brighter than I'd expect from a common bristlenose but not crazy. I think this will be a wait-and-see game until it's at least a few inches for a reliable ID.

Upvote 0

accphotography

He is pretty brightly colored. He has a light rim on his dorsal fin and tail too but not sure if that tells us much.

Attachments

• 20210719_235704.jpg
    20210719_235704.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0

Tankseeker

Could be a sailfin ,you just have to wait to maturity to definitively tell the species

Upvote 0

chromedome52

It's a young Bristlenose. No doubt about it. Little more brightly marked than usual, but not so much as to be questionable for ID.

Upvote 0

Tankseeker

I don’t agree with .first off your pleco lacks the obvious bristles plus bristle nose plecos are usually not brightly coloured

Upvote 0

TClare

I don’t agree with .first off your pleco lacks the obvious bristles plus bristle nose plecos are usually not brightly coloured
It wouldn’t get bristles until its quite a bit bigger anyway. Looks like a bristlenose, it has that white tip on the caudal fin, I am not sure if that is unique to bristlenose plecos but they all seem to have it.

Upvote 0

Tankseeker

Gold finger plecos have the tip too also I have seen juvenile bristlenose with bristles

Upvote 0

altermac

This could be anything. Pleco fry changes colors and pattern after 3-6 months. This one could be a few days or weeks old. My clownpleco fry was striped. Are bristlenose fry dotted?

Upvote 0

Tankseeker

No they were quite plain to be honest
I bred them once

Upvote 0

accphotography

He's literally only about 1.25" long so far too young to be developing bristles. I agree the "white seam" seems to strongly indicate bristlenose. I think he looks more brightly marked than we might be used to because he's a black with white spots instead of a brown with white spots as many bristlenose are. Once I set him loose in my 55g he brightened up even more.
I've had him at least a month so he's probably at least 2-3 months.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210805-022842_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210805-022842_Gallery.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Mudminnow
Replies
Views