Identify please

Tanked4Relaxin

Hi. Can someone please identify these & tell me how big they will get? I have two of the brown ones..not sure if they are common plecos or bristlenose & not sure what my other one is. TIA

Attachments

• 20210615_210723.jpg
    20210615_210723.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210615_122105.jpg
    20210615_122105.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210614_205020.jpg
    20210614_205020.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 39

BigManAquatics

Looks like an albino cory catfish and the plecos i can't say for sure, kind of look like commons to me.

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

The albino cory will get about 3 inches and should be in a group of at least 6. The common plecos will get huge 24" and need at least 125 gallons each.

Upvote 0

Tanked4Relaxin

Omg!!!! They won't grow to the size of tank??? Yikes!! I have two in a 55 gal.

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

No commons do not stop growing. I would recommend returning them and looking into bristlenose, clown, or rubberlip pleco as they get 4-6 inches max.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

They will be ok for awhile but they are easier to get rid of at an LFS or elsewhere when they are smaller.

Upvote 0

Tanked4Relaxin

No commons do not stop growing. I would recommend returning them and looking into bristlenose, clown, or rubberlip pleco as they get 4-6 inches max.
Ok, will do. Someone on another site just said if they are two females I will be fine?? I have no idea what they are either. Ty for your input. :)

Upvote 0

Anders247

It doesn't matter what gender they are, they will get too big. I'd agree with the others, return the commons.

Upvote 0

Tanked4Relaxin

Do you think it could be a Rubber Lip Pleco?

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

Do you think it could be a Rubber Lip Pleco?
No I have a rubberlip and their mouths are shaped completely different.

Upvote 0

Tanked4Relaxin

No I have a rubberlip and their mouths are shaped completely different.
Ok.. thank you. I am so sad now. I have to return two of my buddies:(

Upvote 0

Sofiafish17

Yeah no fish actually grow to the size of the tank. They just physically can’t get any bigger so their bodies stop growing and they become stunted. Their organs don’t stop growing though, and this leads to organ failure and death. That myth is one that a lot of us around here wish didn’t get taught. I’m sorry you have to return them. You could probably make it work with them in a 200 gal but I understand that isn’t realistic for most people.

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

Ok.. thank you. I am so sad now. I have to return two of my buddies:(
It is way better than having issues later on. Plecos grow pretty fast especially the commons. My LFS has a 2 foot one in a tank with a head the size of cantaloupe. Also you usually don't want 2 in a tank unless they have a lot of room. If you get stuck with 2 males they don't usually like each other. I have one rubberlip in my 55 and he keeps it clean. Every once in a while he will miss a spot on the glass I have to scrape, but that is it. I do throw in algae wafers although I am pretty sure my rainbow shark eats them. I have also added blanched cucumber and zucchini for him but he isnt interested. I'll keep trying though just in case he runs out of algae.
Also- get the cories some buddies and some shrimp pellets. They don't eat algae and need a meaty diet. They do best in group of at least 6 and should be with the same kind of cory. If you do not have a sand or very small smooth gravel take him back too. They dig in the substrate and any rough rocks could cause injury to his barbels and lead to infection.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
louiebetta
Replies
Views
Tanked4Relaxin
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
Replies