Identify my fry !!

Mscharming
I can’t figure out if these little things came from a Dalmatian Molly or a guppy, they are about 3 weeks old now, might just have to wait until they get bigger. Buggers are too quick for me to get a good picture. Both fish are new to my tank so the dad isn’t one of my fish. Also with the second set of pictures with bigger fry, I know they are from my female gold dust Molly and the dad is a silver sail fin Molly, I’m trying to figure out what color they will be, all black ? Right now they have silver bellies and some silver specking on top but not sure if that’s just them growing black scales. Just looking for some opinions ! Thanks !!

YellowGuppy
Welcome to the fun of breeding livebearers - you never know exactly what you'll get if you have some genetic diversity! Especially with the guppy dad not being in your tank, it's a real mystery. Are there both males and females of both species in the tank? Guppies and mollies have been known to hybridize, but it's my understanding that they likely won't do so if there's a conspecific mate in the tank.

Time will tell, and all livebearer fry look pretty similar. chromedome52 is our local fish ID guru; if he can't figure it out, odds are good that nobody can!

Also, welcome to FishLore!

Mscharming
YellowGuppy said:
Welcome to the fun of breeding livebearers - you never know exactly what you'll get if you have some genetic diversity! Especially with the guppy dad not being in your tank, it's a real mystery. Are there both males and females of both species in the tank? Guppies and mollies have been known to hybridize, but it's my understanding that they likely won't do so if there's a conspecific mate in the tank.

Time will tell, and all livebearer fry look pretty similar. chromedome52 is our local fish ID guru; if he can't figure it out, odds are good that nobody can!

Also, welcome to FishLore!
Thank you!! I was so caught up in determining which fish was the momma that I forgot they came to me pregnant so I have no idea what the dad is! Lol they will have to be a grow and see situation like you said, I guess my new hobby will have to require even more patients then it has already given me! But yes both males and females of both species now, however when the fry showed up my only girl at the time had just birthed the big black fry you see in the pics and then two days later the really little guys showed up after I added a few more female guppy and Molly because my males were fighting over the low ratio of females. Thanks for the thoughts, much appreciated!

emeraldking
Looking at the shape of those fy in these pictures, I can telll you they're mollies without a doubt. Speckled molly fry are hard to determine wether they'll be marble, dalmation of totally blacks in the end.

Mscharming
emeraldking said:
Looking at the shape of those fy in these pictures, I can telll you they're mollies without a doubt. Speckled molly fry are hard to determine wether they'll be marble, dalmation of totally blacks in the end.
thank you for that! But I’m referring to the smaller fry pictured in the first few pics. I know the other bigger blackish ones are mollies because I’ve had the mom & dad for a long time and watched her birth them! And yes it’s so hard to tell how they will look lol! I check and see if there’s any changes everyday

emeraldking
I was also referring to those 2 first pics.

Latest threads

Top Bottom