Identify If Fin Rot

Beta blue

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
5008587D-D784-4642-A03D-BC2DDE93ACBF.jpeg
got my half moon double tailed betta about 6 weeks ago from box store. Thought the dark tips of his tail were part of his coloring. Now I am not so sure. He is in a 3 gal heated and filtered tank. Water is 76-77 degrees. I test well for ph,Nitrates and nitrites 0- and do 25-30% water changes every week - 10 days. When I brought him home he was a bright blue- now he seems like he is turning black. He is lively and eating and I thought he was happy. Need some help! Photos attached.

Attachments

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s either fun rot or he’s a biter. Either way, do daily water changes to lower the risk of infection. They should heal normal fin rot right up.

Beta blue

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Katie13 said:
It’s either fun rot or he’s a biter. Either way, do daily water changes to lower the risk of infection. They should heal normal fin rot right up.
Thanks Katie- Daily water changes? What percent of water? Thanks!

Frozen One

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cobalt heater! Nice. I love mine lol

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
betta blue said:
Thanks Katie- Daily water changes? What percent of water? Thanks!
It doesn’t really matter. I would do 20-25%

Beta blue

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Frozen One said:
Cobalt heater! Nice. I love mine lol
Yes- finally one I am confident won’t cook my buddy. . Plan to upgrade to a 5 gallon when he gets a little bigger so the Cobalt was a no-brainer. Having some issues keeping water temp at the set temp. You?

Beta blue

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Katie13 said:
It doesn’t really matter. I would do 20-25%
Thanks again. So you wouldn’t recommend salt or any of the anti bacterial fixers?

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
betta blue said:
Thanks again. So you wouldn’t recommend salt or any of the anti bacterial fixers?
Salt tends to do more harm than good. We tend to stay away from suggesting meds unless it’s a highly aggressive case. Pimafix and Melafix are awful to give you a heads up! By the way, welcome to Fishlore!

Frozen One

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
betta blue said:
Yes- finally one I am confident won’t cook my buddy. . Plan to upgrade to a 5 gallon when he gets a little bigger so the Cobalt was a no-brainer. Having some issues keeping water temp at the set temp. You?
no issues keeping temp stable. I think it's because the wattage is recommended for my exact tank size

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom