Identify If Fin Rot

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Beta blue, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Beta blueNew MemberMember

5008587D-D784-4642-A03D-BC2DDE93ACBF.jpeg got my half moon double tailed Beta about 6 weeks ago from box store. Thought the dark tips of his tail were part of his coloring. Now I am not so sure. He is in a 3 gal heated and filtered tank. Water is 76-77 degrees. I test well for ph,Nitrates and nitrites 0- and do 25-30% water changes every week - 10 days. When I brought him home he was a bright blue- now he seems like he is turning black. He is lively and eating and I thought he was happy. Need some help! Photos attached.

Attached Files:

2. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

It’s either fun rot or he’s a biter. Either way, do daily water changes to lower the risk of infection. They should heal normal fin rot right up.

3. Beta blueNew MemberMember

Thanks Katie- Daily water changes? What percent of water? Thanks!

4. Frozen OneValued MemberMember

5. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

It doesn’t really matter. I would do 20-25%

6. Beta blueNew MemberMember

Yes- finally one I am confident won’t cook my buddy. . Plan to upgrade to a 5g when he gets a little bigger so the Cobalt was a no-brainer. Having some issues keeping water temp at the set temp. You?

7. Beta blueNew MemberMember

Thanks again. So you wouldn’t recommend salt or any of the anti bacterial fixers?

8. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

Salt tends to do more harm than good. We tend to stay away from suggesting meds unless it’s a highly aggressive case. Pimafix and Melafix are awful to give you a heads up! By the way, welcome to Fishlore!

9. Frozen OneValued MemberMember

no issues keeping temp stable. I think it's because the wattage is recommended for my exact tank size

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice