Identify Fish Eggs?

Joey4151

Reaction score
4028E0BB-B06C-43A0-8F48-7D81AF1B3CC8.jpeg
F405EA62-AE44-424F-A5F4-FC140EC3458A.jpeg
4028E0BB-B06C-43A0-8F48-7D81AF1B3CC8.jpeg
Hello everyone!

I’m trying it figure out what this round gel/black balls are that is sitting on the substrate or glued to the glass wall.

Are they fish eggs? Plant fertilizers? I noticed it today, should I remove it?

A little about my tank:

3 live plants from Petco.
Dwarf gourami (male)
Balloon belly molly (female)
Guppies (mixed sex)
Betta (male)
Platy (Male)
Ghost shrimps
Oto
Bladder snails

Most of my female fish are livebearers, I’m unsure of the other ones.

What do you guys think?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I doubt they are fish eggs, maybe snail eggs but usually bladder snails lay globs that are rarely perfectly round like that. It almost looks like an air bubble stuck under the rocks, poke it and see what happens

Joey4151

Reaction score
I doubt they are fish eggs, maybe snail eggs but usually bladder snails lay globs that are rarely perfectly round like that. It almost looks like an air bubble stuck under the rocks, poke it and see what happens
I’ve had many bladder snail’s eggs before and this definitely isnt that.

To answer your question, I’ve poked it and it is definitely not an air bubble. Its hard to tell in the photo but it is flat. I’ll wait and see what happens to it in the next few days before I decide to move it.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I first looked at the photos, I was expecting to see frogs on your list, but they weren't there. There are some snails that lay eggs like that, but not Bladder snails. Very odd, to say the least. I would move it to a smaller container to hatch, just in case it is something undesirable.

Joey4151

Reaction score
Okay guys. An update as promise. While doing a water change, I figured what those balls and gel looking thing is.

My aquarium thermometer broke! The gel looking thing you see in the pictures is the bottom of the glass thermometer and those black balls are the steel balls in them. Those orange reddish coating on those balls are rust.

I tried siphoning most of them out but those metal balls kept falling in deeper and deeper. I’m at lost as to what to do. I’m thinking about doing a substrate change to sand or clean the substrate with aquarium water to rid me of those metal balls and just put the old substrate back in.

Any ideas?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Use a magnet !
You robbed me of appearing a genius !:D
I have broke many and still use glass therms on my 60+ tanks !;)
I have found they stick in corners and fall during water changes !
Welcome ..

Joey4151

Reaction score
Use a magnet !
You robbed me of appearing a genius !:D
I have broke many and still use glass therms on my 60+ tanks !;)
I have found they stick in corners and fall during water changes !
Welcome ..
I tried a magnet and it worked beautifully! I just hope I got most of them out. Thank you!

Did you happen to get any rust in your aquarium? I have a few rust stain spots on the glass and some gravels where the steel balls were in contact with it for a while. I tried scratching it off with my fingernails and it didn’t budge at all. What’s even more funny is that, when I dug the magnet onto my gravel substrate, some of the darker gravel were magnetize and stuck to my magnet making it harder to find the some steel balls.

I’m sure I lost some steel balls in my aquarium. I just hope that a little rust/iron will help out with the live plants.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The black from your sub is likely iron..It is found more often then many think..
Not all who scratch their glass with magnet cleaners are careless..Black diamond blasting sand is loaded with it ..
IMO with some experience what is left of the rust will be no problem and will dilute [go away ] over time ..
Glad the magnet worked ..;) I still use glass therms on all my tanks ...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom