Identification

catfish73

IMG_2994[48].jpg
anyone know what this plant is, I found it in a river and was wondering if it was safe for my zebra danios

Mudminnow
It looks like watercress. I've grown in in an aquarium before. It likes cool water. For me, it grew a bit taller than I usually see it in nature. It should be fine with your danios if you give it what it needs. It often grows emersed.

Corylover123
Does this live in the Midwest? I was thinking of local collecting plants

Mudminnow
It has a huge range. I think it's from Europe and Asia, but has been established all over the USA and Canada as well.

Corylover123
Mudminnow said:
It has a huge range. I think it's from Europe and Asia, but has been established all over the USA and Canada as well.
Do you live in indiana? I know mudminnows are common here. I live in Indiana

catfish73
Mudminnow said:
It looks like watercress. I've grown in in an aquarium before. It likes cool water. For me, it grew a bit taller than I usually see it in nature. It should be fine with your danios if you give it what it needs. It often grows emersed.
Thanks I just had it in a container until I could find out if it was safe, also I live in the New England region

Mudminnow
No. But, I used to live in PA. And, when I lived there, I had a native planted 75 gallon with mudminnows and blue spotted sunfish. Those mudminnows where my first native fish, and I loved them.

Corylover123
Mudminnow said:
No. But, I used to live in PA. And, when I lived there I had a native planted 75 gallon with mudminnows and blue spotted sunfish. Those mudminnows where my first native fish, and I loved them.
Can they go tropical I love them

Mudminnow
I've found them in ponds that reach tropical temperatures in summer. But, I don't know how they would do in those temps year round. I kept mine without heaters.

Latest threads

Top Bottom