Identification Of Plant. And Trimming Roots?

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've got this plant that had extremely long roots (too big to fit under 5 gallon substrate) any options? I got it around 4 weeks ago and it seems to be thriving. And also what is the name of this plant? Btw I'm not talking about the monte carlo behind.
1564750632973.jpg

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's either jungle val or dwarf sag...
Either way the treatment is the same. It will shoot out runners to form new plants.
If the roots are bothering you.... you can trim them or add some more substrate to mound over them (don't cover the crown though)
Personally I would just leave them.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's either jungle val or dwarf sag...
Either way the treatment is the same. It will shoot out runners to form new plants.
If the roots are bothering you.... you can trim them or add some more substrate to mound over them (don't cover the crown though)
Personally I would just leave them.
Any idea in how to trim the roots? And it is probably Dwarf sag.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are those the roots at the bottom? Man, they are large! Almost looks non aquatic???

Oooh I just thought of mondo grass! I bought some to grow out my tank, but they are not doing well like that, so i'm not sure how to grow it

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are those the roots at the bottom? Man, they are large! Almost looks non aquatic???

Oooh I just thought of mondo grass! I bought some to grow out my tank, but they are not doing well like that, so i'm not sure how to grow it
I would almost say it's about 8 strings of root with a length of already 6 inches and a diameter of 1 cm.

I mean it's grown well and it's been over a month maybe some non aquatic plants can live underwater. Looks very similar to mondo grass maybe it is mondo grass not sure. Still don't know what to do with it. Ignore? Trim? Take it out? Idk

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Biggest difference between terrestrial and aquatic plants is access to CO2.
Plenty of people put terrestrial plants such as potatoes or pothos in their aquarium to help process nitrates.
If I'm wrong and it's not dwarf sag/jungle val, and it is a terrestrial plant... it's clearly adapted and is in my opinion beneficial for your tank unless you hate looking at it haha
Personally I would leave it.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The thing that gets me is the roots. Sag and val roots aren't that thick.

I see it at Petsmart underwater. I think it will at least live a little while underwater if it is mondo grass. Like semi-aquatic.

Yours is doing better than mine out of the water!

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The thing that gets me is the roots. Sag and val roots aren't that thick.

I see it at Petsmart underwater. I think it will at least live a little while underwater if it is mondo grass. Like semi-aquatic.

Yours is doing better than mine out of the water!
Thank you it's one of the best thriving in my opinion. Thanks for responding

Biggest difference between terrestrial and aquatic plants is access to CO2.
Plenty of people put terrestrial plants such as potatoes or pothos in their aquarium to help process nitrates.
If I'm wrong and it's not dwarf sag/jungle val, and it is a terrestrial plant... it's clearly adapted and is in my opinion beneficial for your tank unless you hate looking at it haha
Personally I would leave it.
Ok thank you so much for answering, I was honestly confused on why the roots were different from other aquatic plants.

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm curious how it is doing still or if it is doing at all. Mondo grass can be exceptionally challenging to keep submerged for long periods as it isn't a true aquatic plant.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Angelcraze is right, mondo grass! I just wanted to say the plants behind it isn’t even monte carlo:emoji_shrug:
If it's not monte carlo what is it??

I'm curious how it is doing still or if it is doing at all. Mondo grass can be exceptionally challenging to keep submerged for long periods as it isn't a true aquatic plant.
It's been standing strong for nearly 2 months now.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is it ok if i trim it? And it isn't a carpeting plant?
If it's hygro polysperma, I use it like a carpeting plant, but I have to trim and replant it manually. Polysperma is a stem plant, so you can snip at any leaf node and replant the tops. The cut stem stump will sprout one or even two new shoots. But I'm not sure if it's polysperma.

I have no experience with cardinal plant, sorry.
See what you think
LOBELIA CARDINALIS, Cardinal Plant, live aquarium plant

https://www.amazon.com/Potted-Cardinal-Plant-Lobelia-cardinalis/dp/B01BF2X59E

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If it's hygro polysperma, I use it like a carpeting plant, but I have to trim and replant it manually. Polysperma is a stem plant, so you can snip at any leaf node and replant the tops. The cut stem stump will sprout one or even two new shoots. But I'm not sure if it's polysperma.

I have no experience with cardinal plant, sorry.
See what you think
LOBELIA CARDINALIS, Cardinal Plant, live aquarium plant

https://www.amazon.com/Potted-Cardinal-Plant-Lobelia-cardinalis/dp/B01BF2X59E
But is it normal that the leaves are sometimes very long? Like around 4 cm sometimes.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom