Identification help

Heycole1211

Reaction score
Hello. I’m a new member and am hoping to find some help. I am also relatively new to guppy breeding and after growing a successful 2 generations, I’ve still not a clue what type of male guppies I have. I will include a picture, but they seem to be a delta or fan type tail. However, I’m wanting to know what the color or patterns would mean towards what kind of guppy they are. Any help is appreciated

Attachments

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Did you start with a male and female guppy of the same color variation?
emeraldking

OP
Heycole1211

Heycole1211

Reaction score
CoryFan said:
Did you start with a male and female guppy of the same color variation?
emeraldking
The following males were birthed from a female that was already pregnant when bought. However I did have an orange tailed male in the tank at the time

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Heycole1211 said:
The following males were birthed from a female that was already pregnant when bought. However I did have an orange tailed male in the tank at the time
There is a good chance they are mutts then.
but emerald king is the guppy expert and can tell you what color type they resemble.

OP
Heycole1211

Heycole1211

Reaction score
CoryFan said:
There is a good chance they are mutts then.
but emerald king is the guppy expert and can tell you what color type they resemble.
Thank you so much

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those males are red tuxedos. Delta is this case but not perfectly shaped when it comes to the caudal. If you'd like to get better shaped tails, that would be a matter of culling in the next generations.

OP
Heycole1211

Heycole1211

Reaction score
emeraldking said:
Those males are red tuxedos. Delta is this case but not perfectly shaped when it comes to the caudal. If you'd like to get better shaped tails, that would be a matter of culling in the next generations.
Thank you! I did notice however that red tuxedo males have a red dorsal fin the match the tail, but my males have blue dorsal fins

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Heycole1211 said:
Thank you! I did notice however that red tuxedo males have a red dorsal fin the match the tail, but my males have blue dorsal fins
That coloring of the dorsal may differ. So, they don´t need to be red as well.
fish stan ea5 001.jpg

DSCF1968.JPG

Above some tuxedo red koI guppies. Also overhere not all have a red dorsal but even white/blue. But this goes for all red tuxedos.

OP
Heycole1211

Heycole1211

Reaction score
emeraldking said:
Ok, thank you so much for the help

OP
Heycole1211

Heycole1211

Reaction score
emeraldking said:
fish stan ea5 001.jpg

DSCF1968.JPG

Above some tuxedo red koI guppies. Also overhere not all have a red dorsal but even white/blue. But this goes for all red tuxedos.
One last question are these red tuxedos considered a fancy guppy, and in your opinion about how much would one male go for?

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Heycole1211 said:
One last question are these red tuxedos considered a fancy guppy, and in your opinion about how much would one male go for?
These red tuxedos are definitely fancy guppies. But they´re not that much in value for they are considered being commercial guppies.
All non-wildguppies are fancy guppies. But a part of them are already commercial strains once offered to the regular public. And there are fancy guppies from the higher segment which you'll able to find at shows. But also fancy guppies from the higher segment will find their way to the consumer once it's been circulating at shows for a few years. That's been like this for years now. So, a lot of the current commercial strains came from show strains at some point.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Heycole1211 said:
A grown male that is fully colored could probably be sold from 3-5 dollars, depending on how you sell them.

New Threads