Identification/eradication

• Thread starter tristanf
  • Start date

FishBoy101

Well Known
tristanf said:
What are these algae and how do you get rid of them?
Looks like BBA to me. I got the same problem, lower lights to 6 hours a day or so, and feed less. Though I wouldn't use medications.

Good luck!

AngelfishDude722

it Looks like string algae. I would say you can take out the plant and treat it with algeacide. But for algae a Plecos can be a cool addition but they might eat plants. Depending on the size of the other fish oto Catfish might be a great idea.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
How long is your light on for? Looks like hair algae and regular green spot algae.

tristanf

AngelfishDude722 said:
it Looks like string algae. I would say you can take out the plant and treat it with algeacide. But for algae a Plecos can be a cool addition but they might eat plants. Depending on the size of the other fish oto Catfish might be a great idea.
I have Otos in there but they don’t touch that algae. I have seen the molly try to eat it once but it hasn’t tried since. I have Flourish excel That I used in another tank to kill BBA. These valisneria cane from that tank. Should I try spot dosing it in that tank too? I know too much Can kill Valisneria though. Thoughts?

tristanf

FishBoy101 said:
Looks like BBA to me. I got the same problem, lower lights to 6 hours a day or so, and feed less. Though I wouldn't use medications.

Good luck!
I actually lowered it to 6 a few weeks ago to counter it and it just keeps getting worse. I don’t feed very much either. It’s a fairly new tank so isn’t mature yet. Should I do what I posted in my other reply?

tristanf

StarGirl said:
How long is your light on for? Looks like hair algae and regular green spot algae.
I had it on for 12 hours a day for about a month, and then lowered it to 6 hours a day for the last few weeks and it has kept getting worse.

AngelfishDude722

tristanf said:
I have Otos in there but they don’t touch that algae. I have seen the molly try to eat it once but it hasn’t tried since. I have Flourish excel That I used in another tank to kill BBA. These valisneria cane from that tank. Should I try spot dosing it in that tank too? I know too much Can kill Valisneria though. Thoughts?
Huh that is wierd maybe try removing that plant and physically removing the rest of the algae then doising it.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
How often do you change water and how much? What are you fertilizing with?

tristanf

StarGirl said:
How often do you change water and how much? What are you fertilizing with?
I change water 50% once or twice a week. Nitrates are always below 20 ppm. I use API root tabs and Easy green. Easy green is dosed twice per week

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
You could try spot dosing with Peroxide too. Do small patches at a time to not overdose. There are threads around on how to.

Top Bottom